Honored Contributor

Happy ending: police officer finds friendly pittie

[ Edited ]

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-officer-called-vicious-pit-bull-said-dog-161804228--abc-news-pets.h...

There have been a couple of stories posted here about similar instances.  I found one dated 2016.  This one seems to be new.  

I am always glad when police officers take time to assess rather than just pull guns without thinking in any kind of situation with animals.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Happy ending: police officer finds friendly pittie

Love his chubby, stubby feet. Ha!

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad they were able to somehow find the owner through the microchip even though it hadn't been updated.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Awww, Love to hear a story about pits that doesn't give them a bad name. Thanks for sharing!!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I have friends who have pit bulls.  My daughter's best friend takes care of unwanted pit bulls and finds homes for them.  

It's against the law to have a pit bull in Colorado where my daughter lives.  She had to be able to prove the dog she adopted was definitely not a pit bull at all.

I recently started donating to a pit bull organization that rescues them.  The unbelievable stories these ladies have told me make me sick (i.e. using the dogs for gun practice, bullets in them).

I used to only donate money to cat organizations because I've only ever had cats.  However, a friend put me in touch with the pit bull organization.  They do amazing work.

I said to this lady, "I think there's a special in Hell for people who abuse animals."  She said, "I hope so because I know people who should be there".  

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  Your posting was special and sweet, until you said police officers " just pull guns"

Most police officers do not just pull guns on dogs or anything else. Most of them are pet owners themselves and love animals.

When a police officer has to discharge a weapon it is a big deal.  My DH once shot at the tires of a car that was trying to run him over.  He was not allowed to go back to work for six weeks until the investigation was complete because he discharged his weapon, even though he didn't shoot anyone or even try to.

The DA said he would have been justified to shoot at the driver of the car....who fled and wasn't found for a few weeks.  In fact, the DA said my DH put himself in danger by not shooting the driver.

Yes, there are some nutty, crazy police officers as there are people in every occupation you can think of, but most of them are good people who are married with children and pets who aren't just trying to protect and serve.

There are a ton of feel good stories about pets and police officers.  Some PO's even give mouth to mouth and CPR to animals rescued in a fire.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Carmie

In recent years, I've read many reports of police shooting deer or bears or cougars and yes, dogs, without care for the situation.  Even dogs who approach with happy faces and wagging tails.

I don't disagree that many officers are family men and women, or have pets, or have other caring considerations.   I never said all police officers "just shoot."  Here's what I said, "I am always glad when police officers take time to assess rather than just pull guns without thinking in any kind of situation with animals."  Doesn't that tell you I appreciate the thoughtfulness?  

In contrast, the reports I had read were troubling, and they all stemmed from what seemed to be either a lack of training or a rush to resolve a situation that was not immediately dangerous.   I really hope I don't read any more reports of helpless animals shot when other methods could have been used.  And I'm not talking about the urgency when someone or something charges an officer or victim.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

A family member rescued a pit bull when a couple no longer wanted it. The sad part was they could not find anyone to take it so they just stopped FEEDING him.

What horrible, awful people could do that?  Just rotten and evil. I'm sick thinking about it.

He is a beauty.  Regal looking.  Safe and loved now.