Honored Contributor

Happy Ending for Stray Kitten

Holly Knox Brookhouser was in the grocery store shopping for a small party to celebrate the second anniversary of her son Marcelo’s adoption when she checked her phone. 

“I pulled up Facebook really quick and somebody on one of our local pages posted this tiny little black furball, saying that they had just rescued it out of the middle of one of the busiest roads that runs through Bentonville, Arkansas,” Brookhouser told The Dodo,

“They brought her home but couldn't keep her.”

After a spring and summer full of fostering, Brookhouser was trying to take a break. But as she watched the comments flooding in, she knew that they wouldn’t necessarily lead to a safe home for the stray kitten.

“I know sometimes those don’t end well, so I couldn’t just stand by — I had to swoop in,” Brookhouser said. “[The rescuer] had said where he lived and I knew that was right by my house, so I private messaged him.”

Minutes later, Brookhouser and 4-year-old Marcelo had the tiny 1-pound kitten in the car. “It was Marcelo’s anniversary day and I thought it was a sweet little memento to commemorate the day,” Brookhouser said. “So we just figured we’d save a life.”

Brookhouser asked Marcelo what he wanted to name the kitten, and after some careful consideration, he answered: Appleseed.

The kitten was surprisingly calm and comfortable around her new foster mom. She climbed right up on her shoulder, nestled in her hair and dozed off.

“I was kind of holding her up high, like on my chest, but she crawled up on my shoulder and just sniffed me a bit and laid down right there and fell asleep,” Brookhouser said.

a cat sleeping on a leather surface

a woman holding a dog

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy Ending for Stray Kitten

What a beautiful story!  So happy for that sweet kitten that now has a home!  

Respected Contributor

All three of them are so cute! Love this!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom LOVE it! The little boy is so cute and the dog and kitten are adorable! What a happy ending to a possibly very sad situation!

And Appleseed, what a GREAT name! that youngster has a good imagination.

Honored Contributor

Perfect story! Thanks for sharing @KingstonsMom! And good for Holly to be astute enough to realize some of the Facebook comments she saw from some who wanted to adopt this little kitten would not lead to a happy forever home. 

Congratulations to Marcelo, his new little sister, and his puppy sibling - what a sweet picture!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Proof positive that are many, many good people in this world. Thanks for sharing this great story!

Honored Contributor

The grin on Marcelo's face is priceless!

And the pic of the kitty immediately falling asleep on Mom's shoulder shows how secure and safe he felt!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

a woman holding a dog

@KingstonsMom 

Thank you so much for sharing this

beautiful story.

God bless Holly Knox Brookhauser,her

son Marcelo and of course,precious Appleseed.

---------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Respected Contributor

Great story, but not sure the dog agrees.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE THIS MOM, an ADOPTER of human and animals - what's not to love, and the name Appleseed - purrrfect!

Mazel lil family - go with God and have a beautiful life!