Esteemed Contributor

I tried one of those slings. Didn't work for me - as someone mentioned you have to be strong to assist a larger furbaby with that. And, a ramp may not help either as it depends if they have issues wtih their hind legs.  Sometimes acupuncture helps by reducing pain/symptoms.

Think next time my precious boy needs a check-up et al, I'll have to get a vet who makes housecalls. He runs around fine now, but, still doesn't have the strength in his hind legs to jump into the jeep and he weighs 64lbs, when he was 58lbs. I could lift him. So, I'll have to start lifting weights (not likely) or Eddy will have to lose 6lbs (a possibiity) or will have to get a vet who makes house calls!

But, I love older dogs - they're precious souls.  I think adopting a "senior" is most rewarding as they are super loving.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I tried one of those slings. Didn't work for me - as someone mentioned you have to be strong to assist a larger furbaby with that. And, a ramp may not help either as it depends if they have issues wtih their hind legs.  Sometimes acupuncture helps by reducing pain/symptoms.

Think next time my precious boy needs a check-up et al, I'll have to get a vet who makes housecalls. He runs around fine now, but, still doesn't have the strength in his hind legs to jump into the jeep and he weighs 64lbs, when he was 58lbs. I could lift him. So, I'll have to start lifting weights (not likely) or Eddy will have to lose 6lbs (a possibiity) or will have to get a vet who makes house calls!

But, I love older dogs - they're precious souls.  I think adopting a "senior" is most rewarding as they are super loving.

@eddyandme I completley agree with with this!! I hadn't been lucky enough to have one of the dogs I actually own live very long as they often passed away early due to cancer (I rescue) and now that I've had three of them live to very ripe old ages, wow I feel so fortunate as they are so completely precious!! Alot of work, yes, but I appreciate and relish every minute with them. When I see their sweet, imploring eyes looking at me when they need help getting up a stair or going down the ramp because they are unsure of their footing, I feel so much love and tenderness. Dogs in all stages of their lives are amazing and wonderful but senior dogs, they have that extra special something and I am thankful when I have a dog that reaches that senior status for many reasons. It breaks my heart when people have dogs for years and then just dump them off because they want a younger dog or it is too much work. Smiley Sad

By the way, we do accupuncture, accupressure, massage, swim therapy and underwater treadmill for some of our dogs. My old guy right now does accupuncture and accupressure about once every 3 weeks and underwater treadmill twice a week, although he is pretty old now and not sure how much longer that will last. It is great exercise and has kept his back legs much stronger for much longer. Over 2 years ago, when we first discovered his back end issues, I was so worried he wouldn't be able to walk well in another year but once finding underwater treadmill and accupuncture and massage (I do this myself at home, using massage exercises my rehab vet gives me), we have been able to stave off the degeneration and continuing weakness for a long time.

I am so happy more and more of these rehab places are starting to pop up all over. It is about time we actually consider rehab for our pets too, not just older ones but those that are recovering from injuries or sugeries. 

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze

I totally agree!  I'll always remember my precious Jade's look in her eyes when I had to assist her into our bed: part saddened 'cause she could no longer do it on her own, but soooo loving and grateful - we were always so very close, but got even closer. There were many special times we shared that are now precious memories.

Now my Eddy, got an early release from the 'doggie hospital' to come here. He's been super loving and grateful ever since. Donated some stuff to the ACO and he kept saying he had never seen such a happy dog! Eddy's been getting stronger just by climbing up on me to kiss and cuddle and by playing ball in his yard. Actually last week, I was sooo thrilled when he actually managed to jump about a foot off the ground with both hind legs.  Could tell he was a little careful with one leg after that. But, we make our gains a little at a time.  I do try to massage Eddy - and he loves it! - nightly (our bedtime ritual). I admire you for doing the acupuncture, accupressure and treadmill - fantastic! Acupuncture is wonderful. When Jade got bone cancer, the 'full-of-himself' surgeon gave her two days to two weeks. Well, not listening to them and getting an acupuncture vet to come to the house weekly totally proved them all wrong! Tufts even studied our case, so perhaps others with cancer will now be helped. Anyways, keep up the good work!

The only thing I disagree with is that, while heartbroken when scumbags rid themselves of seniors, I get angry - very angry and pray karma gets thos despicables!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme thank you for sharing those stories and memories. It warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes to hear stories like that. Heart

And oh yes, I am a BIG believer in Karma and have no doubts those that treat animals (or children or vulnerable adults) like that will have to face the consquences of those actions eventually.