Super Contributor
You must brush/groom them daily. They lick and clean daily, so if you can pull off most of the loose fur first, that will help. The best fur all medicine I have ever seen or used is Well & Good Hairball Relief paste. You can get this at Petco. Iris slightly more expensive than others, but the ingredients used and it’s efficacy are second to none in my personal experience (you know what they say about opinions though). I have one cat who views this as a treat and licks it off my finger. I have another who runs (away) as soon as he hears the lid crack open on the tube. For him, I place a 2” stripe down the lower half of each front leg, in such a way that he can’t just flick it off. I use this paste not just for fur ball help, but any time there seems to be upset tummies too. It really seems to help.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

When the Himalayan boys came to live with us they were coated with oil from the rigs on Lake Pontchartrain.

We had them shaved in a lion cut twice until the oily bits grew out.  The groomer suggested a light lion 🦁  cut - high boots, (to shoulders) tail, and head were left with fur.  She was very adamant that it was important that they keep these areas, because it’s what they see and groom.

I don’t know if that is true, but they seemed fine and happy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

When the Himalayan boys came to live with us they were coated with oil from the rigs on Lake Pontchartrain.

We had them shaved in a lion cut twice until the oily bits grew out.  The groomer suggested a light lion 🦁  cut - high boots, (to shoulders) tail, and head were left with fur.  She was very adamant that it was important that they keep these areas, because it’s what they see and groom.

I don’t know if that is true, but they seemed fine and happy.

@Drythe   Do you have a picture of your boys with those cuts?  I'd like to take it to the groomer to show them.  If not, I'll be sure and tell them this though.

Edited to say:  I just typed the part of your post explaining the cut and will take it to the groomer.  I don't plan on keeping him in this cut.  I kept up with his combing/brushing for three years.  It was only when Frankie died that I became lax in that area and he got the tangles.  He's had two bad hairballs, and I can't get all the knots out.  Thank you very much for sharing this information.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I would try a simple approach first.  Try get back into grooming and brushing him daily, and offer some hairball diet food into his current food.  This is what I did for my cat, and also a tiny dab of paste put into his food.  It helped stop him throwing up hair.

I wouldn't bother with a haircut...just extra brushing until you get him back under control...then go from there.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Sorry, I’m not where I can search photos right now.

Pax to you, and your family.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Hope you see this.  A good friend breeds cats, just two litters a year, one Persian, one Hymalian They are ‘hand raised’ with much care, socialization, and free run of her huge, old, home, until they are 12 weeks old, I usually visit every litter.

She just sent me photos of her spring litter.  

This is the Dad.  Meet ‘Matty’

Matty

Henry, anything you want to share with us?

I know this fellow, and his eyes are much more golden in person.

Honored Contributor

He's beautiful @Drythe !  He does look very much like Henry with his coloring.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
NickNack

A relative has two that have to get the lion cut. They do brush what they can but these cats have a different opinion due to previous living situation.

The first time they got the cut was interesting. They did not get their tails or legs cut. Did not cut facial hair.

Wait a minute... The first time they did cut part of the tail by the body. It left a poof of hair on the end of the tail.

Butch was not thrilled with it. He acted embarrassed and when he saw himself in the mirror he would jump in surprise. The dogs did not recognize them. It took a couple days for them to adjust. Then they were fine and happy again

When they have done it in previous years they seemed to like it better

They look more comfortable