Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had to cut my Maltese fur myself today....

I have always done my Maltese myself

Respected Contributor

I do my Maltese all the time...shes 15 yrs and I'm wouldn't send her to anyone.  Shes full of growths, and needs to be hand scissored, not shaved.  Thankfully shes very well tolerant.  I had another Maltese before her that I also groomed myself.   I do have experience in dog grooming, as I've worked in dog grooming salons a while back, and had my own  grooming practice.  It's very stressful to do on older dogs especially with several skin growths,  eye problems, and they have a hard time standing, and the list goes on.  For those of you doing your own dogs, I think it's so wonderful, and I encourage you all to keep up whatever you can.  Your pets need it!!

This is a very hard time all around, affecting areas we never thought of, but the blessing is how we work to overcome, and be self sufficient.    

Respected Contributor

Been hand stripping or clipping my Scotties since 1985, I am uniformly appalled at the butcher jobs I see dog groomers who call themselves "professional" do to terriers!

One tip to any of you who decide to clipper your dogs:  clip WITH the lay/growth of the fur!  You are less likely to clipper burn the skin or give them a "skin baldy" haircut. 

Honored Contributor

No, our groomer has stayed open.  She comes out to the car, gets the puppy, grooms him, then we come back and she brings him out to the car.  We pay over the phone.  

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.