Esteemed Contributor

Had to cut my Maltese fur myself today....

My poor Holly....I had to take scissors to her.

Her fur had got so long and was starting to matt even with the constant brushing. She was hot too....walking around panting....

It is about an inch and a half long now, but I really butchered it. My Groomer told me not to worry because they can fix anything.....LOL

Anyone else have to cut their dog's fur themselves?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Had to cut my Maltese fur myself today....

Yes, my moxie and i now look alike. Not, ready for runway yet. Well, at least were both well groomed. But, she keeps looking at me rather funny. I, would love to know what she thinks of her new hairdo, but alas i will never know.

Honored Contributor

I'm almost at that point.  I have a Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier mix, a Morkie.  I brush her every day, but she's about a week or two away from starting to matt.  Plus, she gets matted more when she's stressed, and baths stress her a lot.  No matter how much I brush her before and after a bath, she will matt up.

Another issue are her toe nails.  I have never clipped or filed her nails myself and that terrifies me.  I am so afraid of hurting her.  

My baby:

0E7E5D03-DBE7-4943-BD86-A8F3EE432AA2.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful ShopperYour fur baby is beautiful!!!

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00  thank you so much. ❤️

Frequent Contributor

Thankfully my groomer opened yesterday !!!! Curb side only!!Limited hours !! Im glad i got in because they got booked up fast!!Ther nails was long and so was hair!! Maltese!!

Esteemed Contributor

When I see the dog show dogs, I think all their fur is too long! But I guess an inch and a half is a bit short for a Maltese. I'd say she is all set for the summer!

My daughter's Yorkie had a spa visit with us last week, since DH is the one who always washes him in Yorkie Splash & Shine, trims his nails, and trims him.

I don't know about the trimming job. Let's just say he is not shaggy anymore!

Honored Contributor

I've trimmed my little one's bangs.  She's getting a bath when it warms up a bit more.

Esteemed Contributor

27 years of grooming my two Spaniels.  Took first dog to groomer once - and once was enough. 

Honored Contributor

Kudos to you!  I'd be afraid the dog would move and I'd accidentally hurt her.

And I love Maltesers.   Smiley Happy

maltesers.jpg