Valued Contributor

Re: HOW TO TAKE TAKE MOLLY OUT TO LUNCH

This is why I love my Goldens.  We have taken them all out to meals with us.  They would lay next to us, lapping up the attention from other diners, patiently waiting for us to get up to leave, at which time we would give them a little bit of whatever we were having.

Our current girl will be 3 years old next month.  We did no special training and started taking her out to restaurants at 5 months old.  Her first time out, she layed down on her own.  Of course, that didn't last since people constantly came up to pet and talk to her and us.  So she sat up and enjoyed being the star attraction.

We always see many other people out with their well-behaved Goldens enjoying their meals, so maybe it is the breed.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover   Hi. She does great on her outings to Lowe's, The Depot, sits quietly in the cart while creating a lot of attention for herself to get loved on, etc. Many cities we've been to are dog friendly. Thinking ahead after seeing  these other dogs lying down patiently at sidewalk cafes, I wanted to work w/ Molly so if travel is allowed, she doesn't need to be boarded. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus , my daughter had a Beagle that barked constantly,  all day, everywhere,  no matter what she was doing or where they were, all day at home too.  Neighbors complained.   Prior to moving into her own house, she lived in an apartment complex and came home to a notice of eviction...Dog constant barking.   Oh well,  we love them just same...Beagles are known for their unrelenting bark, bark, bark...WOOF!!

Super Contributor

If she is happy to stay home and content to be on her own there for awhile at times, I think I would opt to do lunch without her.  I would take Molly on other outings that don't require "luncheon" manners, LOL!

We have the opposite situation with Mosey.  She has separation anxiety and does not do well at home alone.  We had gotten to where she did okay for up to about an hour or so with minimum stress when covid hit.  So now she hasn't been left in 8 months and we'll need to begin a refresher course!

We do outside lunch at what few places offer such occasionally and she is perfectly fine and very well behaved and quiet just laying at our feet...unless a cat strolls by.  Then all bets are off!  

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Shanus , my daughter had a Beagle that barked constantly,  all day, everywhere,  no matter what she was doing or where they were, all day at home too.  Neighbors complained.   Prior to moving into her own house, she lived in an apartment complex and came home to a notice of eviction...Dog constant barking.   Oh well,  we love them just same...Beagles are known for their unrelenting bark, bark, bark...WOOF!!

@Dazlin   Molly doesn't bark except if a dog and owner is on scheduled walks passed her fenced yard area. She's never barked in the house, even to go out to do her "business". She'll come up to you and just stare at you & we've learned the language. She comes from a kennel that breeds show beagles...her great aunt was a winner at Westminster. Several "relatives" have been in movies like "Cats and Dogs".

The typical beagle traits are bred out of them for show. She doesn't have that rough, thick bristled fur that gets oily and tends to smell. She has a short, silky coat. She (and her 2 predecessors from that kennel) didn't bark or howl either and were easily trained. Molly has a bit of me in her...rebellion. She's a little tougher and we've had to be more consistent with her training to find what works.

BTW, yesterday we took her for outdoor breakfast. She had a tiny bit of my bacon/egg biscuit and was content under the table on her "blankie" for 20 minutes...long enough to scarf down our biscuit and coffee. Baby steps!!

Honored Contributor

After yearly visits to the vet, we take our dogs thru McD's for a hamburger.  

Been doing this for nearly 20 years with our last 4 dogs, and they love it.