Super Contributor

HOW TO REMOVE URINE STAIN FROM HARDWOOD!

My senior dog peed underneath my area rug. Well I did not notice it until recently, and when I removed the rug, there was a black stain on my hardwood. How do I get rid of it? Tried wood cleaner, no luck. Help!
Contributor

Re: HOW TO REMOVE URINE STAIN FROM HARDWOOD!

I had the same problem with water stains . Had the floor scraped but that didn't work, water had sunk through the wood.

Contributor

Sorry, but you'll probably have to refinish the floor to get rid of it.  All the solutions I've seen for removing stains like that from wood usually dissolve the finish as well.  Assuming you don't want to do that then I would spray the spot to death with Nature's Miracle and then get another rug.   

Esteemed Contributor

I found this mehod on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c63uLU9BMoo

Honored Contributor

Sadly, if the stain has blackened it is pretty much undo- able. You may be able to lighten it, but it most likely will not go away.

10 years ago we discovered a soaking wet spot behind the couch .  I think it had been there a long time.  When we pulled the carpet and the pad up, it covered a large area, 3ft by 4 ft!!  it was like the urine spread under the pad!  Our dog was elderly, and had never gone in the house in all her 15 years, ever!  But I guess while our back were turned she did.  Bless her little heart.  She was such a good dog. Just old and didn't want us to know it!

We had the floors refinished on the entire bottom floor,a year later, and after our dog passed..  However when it came to that blackened area we had to replace the entire room. It was too much too patch and stain the honey color we wanted.  They could have refinished and patched the floor, but would have had to stain the floor a dark walnut to cover the area.  It was too dark for me, that is why we opted to replace.

I will say, after we found the urine , and removed carpeting and pad from the room the smell went away.  We treated with miracle spray every day and let it dry out.  The odor did go away entirely after a month.  The boards were curled where it was wet, and from treating the odor with wet spray.

The hardwood guy said it depends on how long the stain has been there and how deep it is.  Some black stains can be surface, not usually but he said he had seen it.  If they are not deep, they can be sanded off.  But they can only sand so deep without ruining the floor.  You could call a hardwood guy and ask.  The smell will come out, and you may want to just cover it like another poster suggested.

Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately, if the wood has turned black it won't come out.  there are 2 solutions: 1) refinish to a darker color or 2) remove the wood/weave in & then sand and refinish the whole room.  You can read more about it here - how to eliminate pet stains in hardwood floors.