Respected Contributor

Years ago AP network showed an intelligence test. One was how quickly they could get out from under a blanket. There was noise recognition tests also.

They know my movements when I am leaving no matter what time. As we know they have inner clocks for meal time. One of my Labs knew when I broke a dog biscuit in half there was another piece there and waited for the other half.

Linus who is now 14  and adopted was a runner. I cried so often in worry and frustration as he was gone for the day get so close and take off. He could unsnap his tie out and roll on the ground until it released. He'd open doors, anything to get out and run. He is so gentle and easygoing which helped. He is the Dog of Dogs I have owned. Never ever  growled or snarled.

The Lab before Linus could smile on command. He never left the yard, rather walked the perimeter .

I love to hear the rescue stories where the Dog knew just how to help out a child of water or a drag from a  fire. Dogs that rescue kittens.

I haven't had this issue but look how sneaky  and quick they snatch food and as if to say, "Not Me " so innocent.

May be the Cat Posters can start a similar thread. I had a cat who retrieved  small items.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I have had German Shepherds and Poodles, Standards and Toys. 

Poodles are very smart and easily trained.  I have been amazed at how they can learn their sits and stays in one session.  Also, their potty training. 

Some people are offended as if I'm bragging, "My dog is smarter than your dog", when I talk about the intelligence of Poodles, so I rarely do, but I'm breaking my own rule.  I first purchased one because I am allergic to dogs.  Much more so to cats.  

But their intelligence is not only about being easily trained.

I have seen them appear to be thinking about what to do next, then they'll go do it.  Mine are always looking for something to do, fortunately, they find it on their own when I am busy. 

They can learn a lot of words and what they mean...pretty much on their own.  They understand what I am saying.

I have seen them sit there while I was having a conversation with someone.  They move their heads back and forth towards the one talking with expressions on their faces appearing to understand.  It's been so obvious, people comment on it.  

Don't give them dog puzzles.  They ace them immediately, then tell you not to insult them ever again.

One of mine watches me wrap Christmas presents on the floor so closely, I said, "Well, you know how to do it now, why aren't you helping me. She is so curious and interested in everything.

At times, I think I have humans dressed in dog suits instead of dogs expecting them to begin speaking in English.  

There are many other examples, too many to note here.

The breeder of my Poodles said, "They are too smart for their own good."

German Shepherds are also very smart, easily trained, but a bit stubborn at times.  

@Foxxee so agree with your post.  I've had poodles also and agree.

Honored Contributor

My last golden was very smart. She was actually trained for a handicapped person with limited mobility. She would turn on lights, open the frig (which became a problem LOL!) and also gave me her empty food bowl after she was done eating. She knew the difference between different kinds of toys, particularly the various kinds of balls I used for retrieving. I miss her so much. But I have her daughter now who is 13yo. "Annie" is not quite like her mother but I love her just the same.

Esteemed Contributor

How Big Do Cane Corsos Get? Learn More About this Breed •

Great question and we're eager to share. Cane Corso, Italian Mastiff, rescue dog. More amazed at his instincts and senses. We live near a care facility and he howls before we hear sirens, then lays on the ground, bows his head and sits reverently for a couple of minutes - as if on cue. Amazing. He's a guard dog by nature. When we take him to the dog park, he walks the perimeter first before he plays. Senses when anything is off or someone in the house is upset. He comes to us when youngest grandchild wakes or cries. Sleeps outside his door when he's napping. Amazing, gentle, protective animal. They live to be 10-12 yo. Hoping we can have six more years with him.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My girl Meadow is very smart. She knows the time. She is by the book with

her daily schedule. If I lost track of time, this dog would alert me, especially

for her meal time. She is amazing.

She may be resting but if I try to leave the room she follows me. The only

time I think she is in a deep sleep is overnight. She is always ready to go

with me any and all times I take a short drive to pick up or drop off anyone.

All I have to say is, "It's time to go" and she is running towards the door.

She knows many words and sometimes I think she is listening to my

conversations, goldens are brilliant. I cannot imagine my life without this

wonderful dog.

A silly picture of her when my son put jewels on her, he treasures her too!!!

Meadow with jewels.jpg

Honored Contributor

Your question just popped into my head.

My husband was washing out a bucket and of course our collie had to stand and "supervise" the work being done. Then my husband sat down. The dog went up to my husband and stared. So on cue my husband stood up and took the dog outside.

It got me thinking. This dog has us so trained. We follow his every wish. Everytime he wants to go outside (he always seems to want to be outside) he will stare at my husband. If my husband doesn't take him out, then the dog comes to me. And I take him out.

I won't even go into his eating habits. Let's just say he is picky.

The dog must be smart to have trained us so well. And he supervises whatever we are doing.

Respected Contributor

I've had all sizes and all kinds of dogs and my Silky Terriers are the smartest little guys I've ever come across. From the first one I lived with years and years ago I realized just how much smarter than me this breed was.Decided to keep'em around forever.

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

My girl Meadow is very smart. She knows the time. She is by the book with

her daily schedule. If I lost track of time, this dog would alert me, especially

for her meal time. She is amazing.

She may be resting but if I try to leave the room she follows me. The only

time I think she is in a deep sleep is overnight. She is always ready to go

with me any and all times I take a short drive to pick up or drop off anyone.

All I have to say is, "It's time to go" and she is running towards the door.

She knows many words and sometimes I think she is listening to my

conversations, goldens are brilliant. I cannot imagine my life without this

wonderful dog.

A silly picture of her when my son put jewels on her, he treasures her too!!!

Meadow with jewels.jpg

@

The jewels are almost as pretty as this adorable doggie!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW SMART IS YOUR DOG?

[ Edited ]

Khloe knows when it’s wet outside she has to go clean her paws on the rug before walking on the tile.  She also knows when I grab my crossbody she is going with mama.  She also knows if I put my finger on my lips without saying Shhh she knows to stop barking. Khloe also wakes me if she needs to go outside  by slowly touching my face with her paw. She is very special.

Respected Contributor

It really depended on the dog.  I had one dog during my highschool days that was smart enough to learn the look of a $5.00 bill.  He could pick it out if you laied out several denominations in no particular order.  He went Right to the Fiver every time. Fun and lucrative party trick that. 

On the other hand I had a dog that while the most kindly happy boy you'r ever want to meet was not the brightest bulb on the tree.  He loved to blow bubbles in his water bowl...but would inhale while his snout was STILL underwater. 

Warms the heart recalling them.