Super Contributor

Re: HOMELESS PEOPLE ADOPTING DOGS

@Shanus wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624   Everyone should have a pet along as it is well fed, has water, kept warm or cool and has the proper vet care including heart worm protection, rabies shots, etc. 

So then you do feel that the poor and/or homeless should not have the comfort of a pet.

Strongly disagree, actually find the position prejudicial against those that do not meet your standards.  Never look down always try to pull people up.

@CrazyDaisy   Excuse me, did you actually read the post? I said EVERYONE as long as the pet is properly cared for. I assume if Molly was cold and hungry, I may be reported to authorities, as well. 

I don't understand how people who have no place to live, no job, and no money except what they can panhandle or except as hand out can afford to have a pet.

Just a vet appointment is expensive.  I have spent thousands....not hundreds on my dogs for 2019.  One passed recently, even though She received the best care available and my other dog is scheduled for a echocardiogram next week...not cheap.

Dog food is not cheap either,  how does one clip nails and bathe a dog when you live on the streets?

I understand that some homeless people had these pets before they were homeless, and some might have " adopted" a homeless pet who also lives on the streets, but I can't figure out why they should be allowed to adopt a pet from a shelter.

Some of us who have money, Jobs, a clean home with a fenced in yard are being turned away and not allowed to adopt pets for some reason because  the shelter has deemed we are not the right person for the animal.

All people and all animals deserve a good life as can be possible.  Shame on anyone who uses a beautiful  soul for their own gain if it hurts the animal in any form or way.

Some people just stoop as low as they can. It hurts my heart to think about it.

@Carmie   It bothers me, too. I wouldn't have posted the shelter's "lookout" if I didn't love animals, too. It didn't have to create chaos here. 

@Shanus  Most people know you meant well and are concern for animals. Wish more could be done for them.

Respected Contributor

I despise seeing this - THAT ANIMAL DESERVES BETTER, and no....I don't really truly give a hoot about the owner, only the pet.

Respected Contributor

Is there a full moon or something ??  !!

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 Don't look now, but this is a Pet Lovers forum. And since you obviously are not aware of it, concern for animals and concern for people are NOT mutually exclusive.

Stop with the virtue signaling.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

I got my last kitty from a homeless man.I was on my way to work and he was asking for money on the corner along my route. As I looked at him,he had an itty bitty kitty clinging to his shoulder meowing like crazy.I asked him where he got it and he said a dumpster. The light turned green and I had to move.I drove back and gave him $1.50 for it. I couldn't leave a little imp like that out in the TX heat. She also looked scared beyond belief. She is now 1.5 years old and a she devil! But I am grateful the man pulled her out of the dumpster.She wouldn't have lasted long without him. 

Respected Contributor

@Estates wrote:

I got my last kitty from a homeless man.I was on my way to work and he was asking for money on the corner along my route. As I looked at him,he had an itty bitty kitty clinging to his shoulder meowing like crazy.I asked him where he got it and he said a dumpster. The light turned green and I had to move.I drove back and gave him $1.50 for it. I couldn't leave a little imp like that out in the TX heat. She also looked scared beyond belief. She is now 1.5 years old and a she devil! But I am grateful the man pulled her out of the dumpster.She wouldn't have lasted long without him. 

I love this. 

unfortunately if there was 1 kitten in the dumpster, there were probably 5 more nearby

☹️

Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
@kitcat51Don't look now, but this is a Pet Lovers forum. And since you obviously are not aware of it, concern for animals and concern for people are NOT mutually exclusive.

Stop with the virtue signaling.

The thread includes the homeless, I didn't add them. I have no idea what virtue signaling is...I simply wrote my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

I would like to share a miracle story.  

My youngest brother was discharged from the military over 30 years ago, due to a mental illness.

For 30 years, he lived on $600 a month in Social Security Disability.  He was never homeless, but lived in some very undesirable places.

He always had a dog.  The last one he had put down about a year ago, when she could no longer move.  He'd had her for 16 years.

About 3 years ago, he saw a man holding a sign in the Walmart parking lot.  The sign said "Homeless Viet Nam Vet".  My little brother, always big-hearted, went over and handed him a $5 bill.  

My brother asked the man, "Are you getting anything from the miliary?"

The man said, no, but he had a lawyer working on it.  My brother asked him who?

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a card with the phone number of his lawyer.

We are in the midwest, and the lawyer was located in New Jersey.

Long story short, my brother called the lawyer, and was sent back some papers to fill out.  He filled them out.

About a year later, he received a letter stating that he would be getting a monthly payment from the military for his disability, which began while he was in the military, and  several months back pay. 

He continues to receive $3000 in monthly disabilty payments from the military.

Truthfully, I have asked myself if the homeless Viet Nam vet was not recruiting for the lawyer in New Jersey.  But in a small town in Iowa?

I have passed by several like that in the Walmart parking lot, though it is not common around here.

We call it our "Miracle Story". 

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51...this thread doesn't "include" the homeless. Its title is "The Homeless Adopting Pets." That is the very specific subject matter of this thread. And people are right to question why the homeless are allowed to adopt shelter pets, when that is what they're doing.

A dog without shelter, as evidenced by shivering, without food, and at the mercy of someone who's begging for money, is not a cared-for dog. And they won't be getting expensive veterinary attention as needed, either. Many of the people are grifters, acquiring and using the dogs for the sole purpose of boosting their donations. It's disgusting.

Yes, America, the homeless can be guilty of animal neglect and abuse, too.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
@kitcat51...this thread doesn't "include" the homeless. Its title is "The Homeless Adopting Pets." That is the very specific subject matter of this thread. And people are right to question why the homeless are allowed to adopt shelter pets, when that is what they're doing.

A dog without shelter, as evidenced by shivering, without food, and at the mercy of someone who's begging for money, is not a cared-for dog. And they won't be getting expensive veterinary attention as needed, either. Many of the people are grifters, acquiring and using the dogs for the sole purpose of boosting their donations. It's disgusting.

Yes, America, the homeless can be guilty of animal neglect and abuse, too.

Please have it your way, I have no interest in bickering.