Honored Contributor

Re: HOMELESS PEOPLE ADOPTING DOGS

Just my own personal experience, I saw a homeless person with a tiny dog shivering on the street with a sign begging for food.

I went past them, turned around and went to Subway to buy them 2 footlong subs and a bag of dog food.

As I left, I watched in the rear-view mirror, only to see the homeless person toss the subs AND the dog food into a water filled ditch where they were standing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624   Everyone should have a pet along as it is well fed, has water, kept warm or cool and has the proper vet care including heart worm protection, rabies shots, etc. 

So then you do feel that the poor and/or homeless should not have the comfort of a pet.

Strongly disagree, actually find the position prejudicial against those that do not meet your standards.  Never look down always try to pull people up.

@CrazyDaisy   Excuse me, did you actually read the post? I said EVERYONE as long as the pet is properly cared for. I assume if Molly was cold and hungry, I may be reported to authorities, as well. 

I don't understand how people who have no place to live, no job, and no money except what they can panhandle or except as hand out can afford to have a pet.

Just a vet appointment is expensive.  I have spent thousands....not hundreds on my dogs for 2019.  One passed recently, even though She received the best care available and my other dog is scheduled for a echocardiogram next week...not cheap.

Dog food is not cheap either,  how does one clip nails and bathe a dog when you live on the streets?

I understand that some homeless people had these pets before they were homeless, and some might have " adopted" a homeless pet who also lives on the streets, but I can't figure out why they should be allowed to adopt a pet from a shelter.

Some of us who have money, Jobs, a clean home with a fenced in yard are being turned away and not allowed to adopt pets for some reason because  the shelter has deemed we are not the right person for the animal.

All people and all animals deserve a good life as can be possible.  Shame on anyone who uses a beautiful  soul for their own gain if it hurts the animal in any form or way.

Some people just stoop as low as they can. It hurts my heart to think about it.

Super Contributor

The majority of homeless with pets had the pets before they became homeless. Shelters won't allow people with pets and if you love your pet you won't go into a shelter. homeless shelters can also be dangerous so people do stay in the street rather then get hurt and a pet can protect. Remember people will stay in their homes instead of going to a shelter when a hurricane is approaching rather then leave their pets behind. 

Honored Contributor

You know, I can see myself easily getting into an argument about this. I don't think that would be helpful. So I've said what I said, and I'm not going to try to rebut every single person who wants to put down homeless people. I know everyone has good intentions regardless of their position.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Homeless people do not neeed to go to animal shelters to find pets. Their pets were either theirs before they lost their homes, or they found the animals on the street needing help too. And they helped them. This is an unworthy topic and kind of disgusting to me.

Don't kid yourself, they also STEAL family pets from their owner's yard, I've see many news reports on that too.

So someone has seen thousands of homeless people in people's yards stealing pets, and they didn't stop them or call the police? How did these thousands of homeless people manage to wind up with the pets if the petnapping crimes were witnessed at the time? How did the thousands of homeless get away from the suburban area while carrying the pets?

If it's not thousands of homeless people plaguing the suburbs stealing pets, then it's a few isolated incidences as reported in the news. And that means very little and can't be used to make a general point about homeless people with pets.

@Porcelain 

No need to be so sarcastic, YOU invented the word THOUSANDS into my post, I never said that, most of the reports I saw were recorded on the owner's CC cameras.

But since you like to exaggerate and embelish other's posts so much, I'll initiate my "IGNORE' feature now.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain   No kill shelters?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can flame me, remove my post, do whatever you want....

I think ANYONE who uses animals and/or small children/infants as part of their con is disgusting and yes, there ARE those who con people and claim to be homeless when they are not. This scum is what causes society to ignore those who truly do need assistance. Let's remember that there are always those who will find a way to screw over those actually in need; these people (those who use the innocent to get handouts and have no business begging) are who I'm talking about. 

The fact shelters ARE putting this info out shows people ARE engaging in this behavior.

Carry on.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624   Everyone should have a pet along as it is well fed, has water, kept warm or cool and has the proper vet care including heart worm protection, rabies shots, etc. 

So then you do feel that the poor and/or homeless should not have the comfort of a pet.

Strongly disagree, actually find the position prejudicial against those that do not meet your standards.  Never look down always try to pull people up.

@CrazyDaisy   Excuse me, did you actually read the post? I said EVERYONE as long as the pet is properly cared for. I assume if Molly was cold and hungry, I may be reported to authorities, as well. 

I don't understand how people who have no place to live, no job, and no money except what they can panhandle or except as hand out can afford to have a pet.

Just a vet appointment is expensive.  I have spent thousands....not hundreds on my dogs for 2019.  One passed recently, even though She received the best care available and my other dog is scheduled for a echocardiogram next week...not cheap.

Dog food is not cheap either,  how does one clip nails and bathe a dog when you live on the streets?

I understand that some homeless people had these pets before they were homeless, and some might have " adopted" a homeless pet who also lives on the streets, but I can't figure out why they should be allowed to adopt a pet from a shelter.

Some of us who have money, Jobs, a clean home with a fenced in yard are being turned away and not allowed to adopt pets for some reason because  the shelter has deemed we are not the right person for the animal.

All people and all animals deserve a good life as can be possible.  Shame on anyone who uses a beautiful  soul for their own gain if it hurts the animal in any form or way.

Some people just stoop as low as they can. It hurts my heart to think about it.

@Carmie   It bothers me, too. I wouldn't have posted the shelter's "lookout" if I didn't love animals, too. It didn't have to create chaos here. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  I warmed you this would be a can of worms....

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I must admit that prior to reading this thread, I'd never heard of these dilemmas. It certainly offers a different perspective to what appears to be a national crisis. I'm not sure if some of these statements are discriminatory against the homeless and low income individuals, factual evidence, or compassionate observation-perhaps a combination. This is a very compelling debate for sure. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖