Honored Contributor

Re: HOMELESS PEOPLE ADOPTING DOGS

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   Everyone should have a pet along as it is well fed, has water, kept warm or cool and has the proper vet care including heart worm protection, rabies shots, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624   Everyone should have a pet along as it is well fed, has water, kept warm or cool and has the proper vet care including heart worm protection, rabies shots, etc. 

So then you do feel that the poor and/or homeless should not have the comfort of a pet.

Strongly disagree, actually find the position prejudicial against those that do not meet your standards.  Never look down always try to pull people up.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

When we were in San Francisco, a lot homeless people had dogs.  Many would rummage through the trash looking for cans to recycle for money.  The dogs would stand guard and growl when anyone would walk by.

I became apparent that the dogs were used for protection.  We would avoid walking near them.

In my area, there are rescue groups who do not allow the homeless or those without the proper means to adopt, but if they already have a pet, they will supply food and supplies.

They ask for donations of food and money.  This is a good cause.

@Carmie   Evidently, our shelters are experiencing people adopting pets under false pretenses (with proper paperwork) and then making arrangements for the homeless people to have them. 

Yes, this ups the 'pity' factor for the one begging and there are articles galore from all over the country that this 'homeless' scam is perpetrated by many people who aren't even homeless.

I've seen many, many online photos that show people that are begging with a homeless sign and a freezing pet, then walking away to get in a nice car.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Homeless people do not neeed to go to animal shelters to find pets. Their pets were either theirs before they lost their homes, or they found the animals on the street needing help too. And they helped them. This is an unworthy topic and kind of disgusting to me.

Don't kid yourself, they also STEAL family pets from their owner's yard, I've see many news reports on that too.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

So should humans. That's clearly not happening in these cases. So... If humans aren't willing to make all that happen for all other humans--the assumption that we even could do that for all pets too is an example of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Show me a dog who would rather be alone on the street or alone in a shelter set to die than be owned by someone who has no house but loves them and does their best for both. There are none.

Once we get to the point where all animals even can go to ideal homes, rather than the reality that most get destroyed at the shelters, then we can debate cutting out all of the homeless population.(Which I still find horrifying.) Right now, this is pointless posturing about ideal animal welfare, as opposed to what is actually going on.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

So then you do feel that the poor and/or homeless should not have the comfort of a pet.

Strongly disagree, actually find the position prejudicial against those that do not meet your standards.  Never look down always try to pull people up.

@CrazyDaisy   Excuse me, did you actually read the post? I said EVERYONE as long as the pet is properly cared for. I assume if Molly was cold and hungry, I may be reported to authorities, as well. 

Honored Contributor

Nope.  I do not for a moment believe that there is a surge of homeless people adopting dogs so they can get people to toss a $1 at them....LOL   The fact is that most people don't give to homeless people panhandling for money and have a dog or cat or parrot wouldn't change that.  And they wouldn't be able to get into any shelter for the night....and they wouldn't be able fo care for the dog since they can barely care for themselves.  What the shelter want people to do, wrestle the homeless person to the ground and abscond with the dog....LOL  How would the public even know that the dog had been adopted?  

Honored Contributor

There will always be the few who will try to scam and work the system and we usually hear about that. I worry that people will lump everyone together and pass up people who are begging for help now because they have a pet with them. When I see some one begging for help on the street with a pet, I give them money. I can't imagine what it's like to be that desperate. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Homeless people do not neeed to go to animal shelters to find pets. Their pets were either theirs before they lost their homes, or they found the animals on the street needing help too. And they helped them. This is an unworthy topic and kind of disgusting to me.

Don't kid yourself, they also STEAL family pets from their owner's yard, I've see many news reports on that too.

So someone has seen thousands of homeless people in people's yards stealing pets, and they didn't stop them or call the police? How did these thousands of homeless people manage to wind up with the pets if the petnapping crimes were witnessed at the time? How did the thousands of homeless get away from the suburban area while carrying the pets?

If it's not thousands of homeless people plaguing the suburbs stealing pets, then it's a few isolated incidences as reported in the news. And that means very little and can't be used to make a general point about homeless people with pets.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

and the concern for the homeless people is...? Good grief.

@kitcat51   That goes without saying and is an ongoing problem. It should not be addressed in Pet Lovers forums. 

The cost to adopt a dog from a shelter in my area is $100-$150 & there's lots of paperwork involved..no one walks in & walks out the same day with a dog because the shelters want to make sure they won't be used in dog fights. A homeless person may have a dog but they had it before coming homeless or they found an abandoned dog that becomes a companion...the homeless don't lose their need to love & be loved or their compassion, they will care for an animal before themselves. The story rubs me the wrong way, animals before people...no.