Super Contributor

I spend sooo much money on natural fish chews for my dog Beau - but they are healthy, don't choke him and don't break his teeth.

It just occured to me that I might be able to learn to dehydrate or air crisp my own salmon treats for him for a lot less money on my Ninja Foodi XL. I always have Salmon in the freezer.

Has anyone else tried this?

Valued Contributor

Re: HOME MADE SALMON DOG TREATS

That's a good idea. My dogs are goofy and won't eat salmon treats. They will drink out of mud puddles and chew on dog bones that have been out in the yard for a month but they won't touch anything salmon. They just look at me like "ew, Mom, no thanks." :-)

Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

That's a good idea. My dogs are goofy and won't eat salmon treats. They will drink out of mud puddles and chew on dog bones that have been out in the yard for a month but they won't touch anything salmon. They just look at me like "ew, Mom, no thanks." :-)

@CritterKeeper  I LOL'd at your response!  Woman LOL

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I haven't used salmon, but we dehydrate slices of (peeled) sweet potatoes.  Our Golden loves them.  (She only gets 2 or 3 per day.)

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

My Doxi got Salmon treats for Christmas.  Gave him 2 and wanted to throw him out of the house (gas)! 

Worst smelling p**p ever!  No salmon for him!

Honored Contributor

In all practicality, who can afford to buy salmon for pets?  I guess people have different priorities. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Back in my younger days of going backpacking, I would pack my own food. Much of it was dehydrated so it weighed less. One of the things I carried was dehydrated salmon which I made using canned salmon, usually Starkist low-sodium and it wasn't expensive even today. I would drain a couple of cans, remove most of the bones and then break it up into smaller chunks onto a cookie sheet in the oven set at 200' for about 4 hours....something like that. It was usually summertime when the windows were open to air the house out of the fish smell. Our dogs drooled while we dehydrated the salmon. After it was done drying, the dogs got their fair share. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dehydrated 1/2 pound of Salmon last night in only 4 hours! The dog loves it and so do the cats. It even tastes good to me!

I've been paying $10 for a 3 1/2 oz bag of dehydrated salmon which lasts a week. It takes 1 pound of salmon to = 3 1/2 oz of dehydrated salmon - so because I pay $5 a pound for wild caught Pacific Salmon, I'll be saving $20 a month to do it myself - and it's really easy...

And my Ninja Foodi will pay for itself in 10 months - who knew? Smiley Very Happy

I'll be trying Sweet Potatoes next - thanks for the idea!

Honored Contributor

Do you cook the salmon first or do you dehydrate the raw fish?

Super Contributor

Hi @SilleeMee ...

I sliced it while it was still partly frozen because it's easier to slice that way. Then I arranged it in the dehydrating pan, turned it to dehydrate at 150 degrees for 6 hours. My slices were very thin though and they were done in only 4 hours - unbelievably easy!

It might be slower in a regular oven. One guy on YouTube did his overnight for 12 hours.

It's tasty too!