Valued Contributor

Re: HELP or Suggestions....Cat box smell🤭🤭🤭 and it's clean!!!!!

@homedecor1  I was warned years ago not to use Lysol near my cats or any of their things (litter box, toys, etc.) by my vet. I looked it up again and this is what I found.

Lysol is a popular disinfectant cleaning product, but the active ingredient Phenol can act as either a toxin or an allergen for cats. Phenol is a naturally occurring chemical which can be found in small amounts in plants like thyme, clove, and oregano.

That may not be your problem with your cat, but it can hurt him. I was cleaning my cats litter box once or twice per year to keep down not just the smell but anything else and was told I could be causing more harm than good.

Just a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc 

Wow that is so interesting!  I'm gonna not use Lysol anymore.  Today I will wash the litter box with Dawn or just vinegar & water.

I bought Beekman "Happy Place" Zero Odor deodorizer spray -- waste of $$$$ for every space not just cat area!☹️

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   Another vote for A&H litter deodorizer.  I have three kitties who use the three boxes I have throughout the house levels and never have any litterbox urine odors.  Each morning, I clean the boxes, add more clean litter as needed and then liberally sprinkle the A&H deodorizer into the box.  Rake it through so it distributes through the litter.  Lastly, lightly sprinkle a little A&H deodorizer on the top of the litter (don't rake that in).   

During the day, I will clean any #2 and sprinkle a little A&H deodorizer through and on top again.  Clean smelling litterbox everytime.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Regular Contributor

I am telling you I have tried all the suggestions mentioned above.  I have had kitties for many years and have used regular clay litter, crystal litters, pine pellets, an automatic self-cleaning litter box, A&H litter deodorizer and all the ideas mentioned.  When I got my new kitty I researched on line and decided to get Okocat cat litter.  It is a clumping litter made from wood that is available in several formulas.  I use the soft one in the pink box.  It has made a world of difference.  I have to keep the litter box in my master bath, since I have no where else to put it, and I NEVER have any odor.  I do not have to use deodorizers at all.  The clumps of pee are flushable, as is the solid waste.  I just add more as the litter gets low and only have to change it all out about every 3-4 months.  This litter is absolutely fabulous.  For me, it has been a godsend.  What have you got to lose? Just try it, you won't be sorry.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're using the regular clay litter you might try the scoopable/clumping type.  That way you can totally remove the urine.  

Are you sure you cat isn't going around the house other than in the litter box?  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe 

and OTHERS...

Absolutely sure!!! I have a nose like a blood hound!!! I only smell it in the cat room and hallway attached...but its enough to "gag" ya.

I took everyones suggestions, including the vet at PetSmart today -- buy A&H clumping litter!  So I bought a big bag and will wash the cat box again and place new litter....

The other thing is the vet there told me I could be changing the boxes to much ???? I do change it every other week but the litter is cleaned everyday.

I'll keep everyone updated!  Thanks to all for the suggestions ....

homedecor!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  Please purchase the A&H litter deodorizer to use along with the A&H litter.  Straight baking soda won't work.  The A&H litter deodorizer, for lack of a better word, sweetens the litter so there is no urine odor at all!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I bought both the litter and the deodorizer.

thank you!  can't wait to give it a try .... 

Respected Contributor

Hello Homedecor 1,

So sorry that the smell is irritating you.  As a multiple cat household (and canines as well), I rarely smell the acid smell you describe unless the box is very old and not clean.

I have both males and females and four-six boxes in use.  I use both covered and uncovered boxes.

The main issue is your litter. It does not seem to be absorbing well or covering the smell. 

I mix multiples kinds together--clay and odor absorbing.  I do not use clumping litter because I have long-haired cats and it can get caught in their fur. I also use brown paper bags under the litter for better absorption.

You do not really need to wash the box so often.

I spray Lysol only rarely and make sure to air it out as it is bad for cats to breathe it or have it get in their eyes.

Others have stated that your cat's diet and water consumption may also be making his urine more intense in smell, and I agree that could exacerbate the issue.

Occasional Contributor

Try Nature's Miracle products. They have a product called Urine Destroyer and another specifically for the litter box. Their products are unbelievable! They are available at pet stores, farm stores, big box stores, and online. They totally remove the urine smell.