Honored Contributor

HELP or Suggestions....Cat box smell🤭🤭🤭 and it's clean!!!!!

I am really "sick" from the horrible acrid urine smell not only in my cat box area but "wafing" thru my home😡

Now, spouse is all mad because:

I said "oh my gosh do you smell that odor?

Him :  "yeah I smell it what do you want me to do? He's a cat!"

End of discussion😮

I clean it every time he uses it.

I wash floor every night using steam cleaner

I sprinkled baking soda in box

Wash & clean box every 2 days

It is driving me crazy -- burning my eyes!  I always used Fresh Step and never had these smell issues.  In fact, says it has "febreeze" which I hate and I don't smell it.

About 3 weeks ago our stores were out started using Tidy Cat -- the smell was worse.  I drove a hour away to get Fresh Step atPetSmart.

He's healthy according to vet & since older has strong urine 🤷‍♀️

HELP....I can't stand the smell!!!!  of course spouse says deal with it he's taking it "personally" cuz he feels I am being ridiculous!!!

Suggestions???? Different cat liter options I might try? The cat gets new cat box every other week, too!!!

Thank you!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP or Suggestions....Cat box smell??? and it's clean!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 -

I know what you mean.

I have an older cat too and it is a very strong smell.Just about knocks you out!

I use the Breeze litter system.

And also Tru-air which is an air circulator plus fragrance if you want it that you attach. Sold at Walmart and plug into wall.

What also helps is the charcoal you can buy also Walmart.

I do smell it but all these things make it not last long.

And then sometimes after her #2 which permeates all over, I just spray some light cologne that I like.

And you would think that baking soda would help but I too found that it did not.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Regular Contributor

Re: HELP or Suggestions....Cat box smell🤭🤭🤭 and it's clean!!!!!

I researched this extensiively before I brought my kitty home.  I am using Okocat litter (the soft one in the pink box) and am thrilled with it. My kitty is a litter flinger, so I use a Sterilite container without the lid  as her littler box because it is deep.  I use about 3 inches of litter.  This litter is totally flushable and it clumps.  I flush the solid bm's and the urine clumps down the toilet.  There is absolutely no odor in the box.  In fact, I add more litter about once a week to replace the litter lost due to flushing, and only change out all of the litter and clean the box out once every 2-3 months.  This litter is the best that I have ever found and others have given it glowing reviews as well on the site that I purchased it from.  I have recommended this to many friends as well, including the foster mom from the agency where I adopted my little cutie pie.  Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Regular Contributor

Someone (and I thank them for it) suggested activated charcoal for odors.  I have two doggies in the house and they are not perfect especially on rainy days.  There can be an odor. I ordered the activated charcoal from amazon.  It came in a linen looking bag that I hung on a cabinet door. Unobtrusive.  Not expensive so worth a try.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've had my share of kitty issues.  I would stick with the original litter.  Keep the box at four months inches litter.  Sprinkle arm and hammer cat litter deodorizer after every scoop.  Use it like you were sprinkling salt.  Rake it through a little.  Use a cat urine deodorizer spray after cleaning box.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to Youtube and watch "Taking The Mystery Out Of The 3 Breeze Boxes And Bottom Litter Pans." I have been using this system for over six months and I have never had a urine smell in my home. Poo is a different matter, but not a big deal - I scoop it out as soon as I smell it, then spritz some Fabreze - odor gone. This system has saved me so much money on litter too. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 

My son & DIL have 3 cats -- she told me the same as you!  Tomorrow I'm heading to Target to get this A&H stuff.

My spouse is thinking it's the Lysol I wash (and spray) litter box doesn't mix with cat urine🤷‍♀️.  Maybe he's onto something - I used to wash box with hot water and Dawn. 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  You can get food or stuff to put in drinking water that gets rid of the odor.  My SO's sister used to use something that did that.

Regular Contributor

I have two cats and two litter boxes - rarely *unless they just used the litter box" do I smell anything. The secret? A HEPA filter - I invested in a nice one from Costco, floor type stand model and let it run continuously - it kicks up to a higher level when needed, but it keeps the dust down and the smell.  Originally I had purchased it because a skunk had passed away under my deck and even after he was removed, the smell inside the house just wouldn't go away. It took care of that within a few days as well.  If it bothers you that much, it's worth investing in a nice heavy duty one.

Valued Contributor

As cats age, they may not drink as much water. One reason may be that they start to develop arthritis and it's uncomfortable to bend down to the water dish. Elevate the water dish by placing it on an overturned, properly sized and sturdy plastic food storage container or bowl. Clean the water dish regularly. At the very least, rinse, wipe and refill daily, and wash weekly. (I also recommend a filter pitcher for kitty's water.)

Also, most cats get the majority of their fluids from canned food. I always mix into their portion 2-3 teaspoons of filtered water. I half fill a custard cup with filtered water and heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds.

Diluted urine should smell less strong. Good luck.