Esteemed Contributor

HELP - My Zoe got vicious

[ Edited ]

Zoe is my Covid puppy, she's 2 and doesn't associate with anyone. Runs to hide any time the doorbell rings. 

Sunday when Kevin moved back home, I helped him go to my Aunts and put up his horses. When we returned, I put all pups outside like I normally do, once outside Zoe attacked Khloe and just wouldn't let go. I tried to pull them apart and got bit in the process. I grabbed a broom and wiggled my way and finally separated them. My poor Khloe bleeding profusely from both her ears. 

This is Zoe with my Khloe's blood. Everything is back to normal but I don't know what triggered Zoe other that I'm carrying Khloe more because of her cast.

0A2BA311-0ED7-4D55-A30C-EBC4C024FDB0.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP - My Zoe got vicious

@qvcfreak,  when you returned home what exactly did you do?  Did you pick Khloe up or otherwise engage her before putting them outside?

If so it is possible that residual scent from the horses transferred to Khloe making her a stranger to Zoe.

Hope Khloe heals quickly.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcfreak 

Have you taken Khloe to the vet? Years ago I was walking my Westie and a dog got out of a neighbor's yard attacked my Westie in the same way as your Khloe. Two days later I noticed my dog was hiding under an end table. I took him to the vet and the tissue and muscle was separated. He had to do surgery. 
Another time a lab I had for years also attacked her smaller brother-in the same way your Khloe was attacked-on back of the neck. Both times there was bleeding.

My lab had epilepsy and before she would have a seizure she would react by attacking her brother. This was the first time she was diagnosed and first attack from her.
I had to give her brother to my mom. It was a perfect fit, both were crazy about each other.

'You may need to find a loving home for one of your pups, it's difficult but better than than the alternative.

What I have to add and it's not comfortable, at the moment of attack, Zoe is trying to kill Khloe. It's instinct and it may happen again, Zoe isn't in control at that moment.

When it happened with my dog I was beside myself, I found a solution and I hope you do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcfreak - I was also going to ask if you've taken Khloe to the vet.

One time one of my cats attacked another and took a chunk out of her neck (fur and it bled).  I wanted to make sure there was no other damage and she was given antibiotics just in case.

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help explain why Zoe suddenly attacked Khloe, but I hope things are okay. So distressing, when something like this happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone but I didn't carry Khloe out, I just walked in the front door and went and opened back door to let them out. Zoe immediately charged at Khloe and wouldn't let go.

I didn't take Khloe to Vet as Kevin checked her out and both her ears were bit but nowhere else. I gave her prescription pain med and antibiotics. She's fine. I kept her in my room for awhile and I just don't trust Zoe. 

I go back to work tomorrow and I'll leave Khloe in my bedroom.

I puppy sat for my BIL 4 days and Kevin brought his Frenchie and Kevin said it may have been too much change for Zoe.  It's sad because I would leave them out in the backyard for an hour or so when the days are pretty but now I go out with them as Khloe is 8 while Zoe is still young. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I'd give the dog a pass this one time, but if it happened again, I'd get rid of her.  It's not fair for the other dog to live in fear.  And you're living in fear now too.  

Is Zoe old?  Maybe she's getting dementia.  I'd talk to a vet about her behavior.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oh sorry, I see now where you said Zoe is still young.  

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak  A dog bite from your own is a "hardship for sure".   I had a scottish terrier bite me and I was always on guard around him from that day forward.   I  would wonder if it was prompted by jealousy or sickness.  There is very little that upsets me more than a dog fight.......hope you recover and the dogs can get back to normalcy.

Esteemed Contributor

Zoe is 2 and she's not very friendly anymore towards Khloe. She growls at her and I'm having to constantly watch her. It breaks my heart but My son registered her today with a rescue group. 

She's very skittish around people and always hides and when Finley arrived it was amazing how she came out of her shell. They are always playful together and Khloe being much older has never engaged with them in play but they would nap together and outside Khloe would join them for awhile. And now Finley started nipping at her too when she passes by. Kevin says she's mimicking Zoe and should stop since she's only 10 months old. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcfreak - Several years ago my sister-in-law had to give up one of her corgis because it kept attacking her miniature dachshund so badly that she knew it would eventually kill it.  The corgi actually injured the dachshund in one attack that required medical treatment.

She was able to take it back to the breeder (even though she'd had the corgi for a few years), on the condition that it be rehomed as the only dog/animal in whatever home the breeder found for it.

Sometimes, as sad as it is, you just have to make the hard decision for the welfare of all involved - animals and humans.  (And remember, it was Khloe's home first.)

Be well.