Respected Contributor

HELP, Cat scratching new furniture!

Hi everyone!

We just replaced two chairs in our living room and discovered our cat started scratching them.  He used to, and still does scratch the area rug occasionally.  We had a terrific spray deterrent that really worked!  When we sprayed the furniture, rugs, etc. he stopped the scratching.  It was made by Sunbeam, yes, the company that makes small appliances.  It was called Barricade and really smelled horrible, but after a short time we couldn't smell it, but evidently the cat could.  I cannot find this product anywhere!  

Can someone please advise me on something that works?  His claws were recently clipped, so the damage was not bad....this time. 

Please help! 

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP, Cat scratching new furniture!

I'm more of a dog person but this might be helpful.

Cats being pure carnivores have a strong dislike of most plant smells. Lavender, rue, geranium, absinthe and lemon thyme are especially unpleasant to them. Cats also hate eucalyptus oil and oil of wintergreen. Soak pieces of cloth or cotton balls in one of these and cats will keep their distance.

Did you enter your question into google?  There seem to be a lot of potential products/solutions

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you!  Right now the chairs are covered with sheets, not the look I was going for! 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful responses, @this is my nic , but when I had cats, I made sure they had a scratching post (or if your cat doesn't like a post, another scratching device).  I actually held their paws and lightly rubbed then against the post to show them how to do it and that it was OK on that item.  

It's good to deter them from where you don't want, but be sure they have a place where it's OK to do this.  As you know, it's part of being a cat, like chewing is part of being a dog.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach 

My cat seems to prefer home furnishings to items made for scratching,such as posts, etc.  BTW, he's a big boy!  Walter is a Maine Coon and weighs 26 pounds.  He's a great cat, except for the scratching problem.  

Thank you for taking time to respond!  I appreciate it! 

Respected Contributor

Oh I love Maine Coons. I had a cat that was part Maine Coon and he was the sweetest most loving cat ever. But to your problem. I purchased double sided tape strips from PetSmart and put them on the sides of the chairs where my cat scratches. They don't like that as they tend to get their claws caught. A few times after this happening and they stop.  I think you can find them in the cat section. Try the tape on a piece of the chair not easily seen to make sure it will not damage the fabric. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic 

On Amazon They had the Sunbeam Barricade (unavailable) that shows the Ingredients: Methyl Nonyl Ketone 1.9% Related Compounds 0.1% Other Ingredients 98.0%.

They have another product called Lambert Kay Boundary Indoor/Outdoor Dog Repellent Pump Spray, 22-Ounce $10.69 that has the same ingredients as the Sunbeam product. Methyl nonyl ketone.1.9%, Related compounds.0.1%, Other Ingredients.98.0%.

Lambert Kay Boundary Indoor/Outdoor Dog Repellent Pump Spray, 22 Ounces keeps dogs away from furniture, trees, flower beds, shrubs, garbage cans and bags and other forbidden areas indoors and outdoors. Boundary will repel dogs for up to 24 hours when applied daily. Use in accordance with label directions along with consistent training to obtain desired results. Proudly Made In the USA.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This may sound weird, but it worked for me. Beanie the cat kept choosing one spot on my new love seat. I tried the spray, but it didn't work well for me. In desperation I used some of the wide packing tape (clear tape about 3" wide). I used strips of it over the areas he started scratching. The tape is slippery and he wasn't able to dig his claws into it. He tried a few times and then just gave up. It could be a temporary fix for you until you find the spray you're looking for, and since it's clear it doesn't look bad.

Edited: I just saw @50Mickey's comment about the double sided tape at Pets Mart. I'm sure that would work as well.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I have packing tape on hand, so I'll test it first.  Glad to know there's a product with the same ingredients as Barricade!  That stuff really did the job!  

Thank you very much! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, have a cat who is perfect in every way except scratching my textiles. I have had to recover a few chairs and clip some carpet threads on my area rugs.  I got her from the shelter at 3 months old.  Quite maddening.  Squirting her with a water bottle helped when I caught her but then she would scratch at night or when I did not see her.  After many trials and errors,  I finally found something that works.  I buy the flat rectangle cardboard scratching boxes.  I sprinkle cat ****** on them and when she sits on them and scratches, I tell her good girl.  I have them all over the house, especially areas she likes.  She uses them a lot now and she is 4 years old.  Problem solved. I continue to sprinkle cat ****** every so often just to reward her.  I wish I would have used these to train her right off the bat.  Good luck.