Honored Contributor

News reporters here are warning not to keep animals outside in the heat and be sure to fill their bowl frequently with cool water. Duh!!

Honored Contributor

I guess their pets are an after-thought to some people.

Trusted Contributor

This past week my "pride" of feral cats have gone through 2+ gallons of water each day.  It is hot and humid today again.   Many were here for breakfast today.  To hot to hunt even with a breeze and big woods behind the house.  15 caught and fixed to date thanks to a neighbor who asked me to help her with the growing neighborhood population and the local SPCA.  2 pregnant females moved to our area when a fox built her den at the farm across the field.  This last winter snow 5 more young adults showed up.  Hopefully they can be trapped and fixed.  Because our SPCA is a no kill facility and have an abundance of cats and kittens they ask that we bring the adults back and release them in there home area.   That is fine with us.   When you live in the country you need good rodent hunters.  I no longer have field nice and red squirrels living in my house.  Even the gray squirrels stay in the trees and in my walnut grove outside my kitchen window.

Surprisingly to us a couple of families did not want the cats they feed to be caught and fixed even knowing they would be back.  If we want to control the population growth and hopefully give these cats a better life we need to work together.  These recent additions may have been their cats litter.  Wish us luck on our crusade.

Honored Contributor

If I could also add, please be aware of how quickly your car can heat up too, even on that "quick errand".

Image may contain: dog and text

Respected Contributor

I keep looking at the horses across the road from me hoping they will be ok. It's supposed to be 124 Tuesday and Wednesday here !

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I keep looking at the horses across the road from me hoping they will be ok. It's supposed to be 124 Tuesday and Wednesday here !

If they don't have a shelter from the sun at least, can you call the owner to ask him or her to get them inside? And if that's not possible, do you have an animal protection agency that could step in? Those temps are lethal.

Honored Contributor

I have one large square of ceramic tile in my house, right inside the front door.  That's where my dogs have been spending their days.  There's also an AC vent right overhead.  They hardly move. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

@Azcowgirl  If they have shade and water, they'll be okay. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment