Respected Contributor
  1. What are your thoughts on giving heartguard to senior dogs, like over 15 years?   
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HEARTGUARD ON SENIOR DOGS?

Heartguard for fleas and ticks?............My two dogs made it to 12 and 15 1/2......but I personally think that med maybe the cause for much of the cancer - tumors we see in our pet.  However, we can't have a houseful of bugs.  If your dog shows negative signs - I would end the medication.  You didn't give quite enough information.

...........15 is about the end of life for dogs......unfortunately

Esteemed Contributor

My Krypto is 17 and has been on Heartguard for years. He is in good health and if he got heart worms he probably wouldn't be able to tolerate the treatments. We walk at least 4 times daily and he enjoys his fenced area for fresh air occasionally. 
  I spray their pen with Listerine and if mosquitoes are bad the dogs also.  I just bought new Heartguard.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Heartguard for fleas and ticks?............My two dogs made it to 12 and 15 1/2......but I personally think that med maybe the cause for much of the cancer - tumors we see in our pet.  However, we can't have a houseful of bugs.  If your dog shows negative signs - I would end the medication.  You didn't give quite enough information.

...........15 is about the end of life for dogs......unfortunately

@fthunt  No.  Heartguard is not for fleas and ticks.  That is Nexguard.  Heartguard is for heart worms which cause a horrible death. It does not cause cancer.

@Dazlin  I would never stop monthly Heartguard no matter the age.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mrssweetiebear You right - me wrong

Haven't had a dog for several years now.............just got mixed up

Thanks

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are still giving our dog almost 13 years old, heartworm medicine. It seems to upset his stomach but we often take him for walks in the park. And think it is best for him.

At 15 how active is your dog? Do they still go for walks? Would your dog be exposed to mosquitoes?  Where you live are there mosquitoes? Has your dog had a bad reaction to the heartworm medicine?

I would continue to give him the medicine but that is just my opinion. 

PS - I might be prejudice because my Aunt died of encephalitis.

If you go to the Heartgard web site they are offering a $12 rebate.

Trusted Contributor

No.   There are very few cases in our area, so I chose not to give it to my dog as she got older.  My vet was fine with my decision.  Every area is so different that I think that you need to do research and trust your vet.

Esteemed Contributor

I have collies.  They cannot be on Heartguard but need, instead, a special heartworm medicine.  I would never consider taking them off of it.  Heartworm is an awful thing for a dog to experience.  

All of my dogs have always recieved their medications up until they died.  I don't think it's "safe" to take them off once they reach a certain age.  This goes for Rabies, Parvo,  and Distemper shots as well.  

Honored Contributor

Don't agree giving my dogs these medications.  No flea collars, sprays, either.

When I took one of my dogs to an oncologist for cancer, she said, no more vaccines, no flea and tick medications, Heartguard only in areas where heartworm is prevalent. All can cause cancer which is on the rise.  

She asked...would we give all these things to our kids?

Honored Contributor

My Vet told me that dogs that are not on Heartworm medicine DO get heartworms.  She does NOT expect or ask me to buy heartworm medicine from her, and I do not, so it is not a money grab.  Your dog could not survive heartworms.  It would be extremely dangeous to quit giving it to him.  It only takes one mosquito which could be in your house. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau