Trusted Contributor

Re: HEARTGUARD ON SENIOR DOGS?

301 Moved Permanently

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies...yes, Teaspoon is still on Heartguard, age 15.   I was asking because my vet agreed to stop all vaccines about 2 years ago, as they become more detrimental in older dogs, but still keep her on Heartguard.   She does walk all around my property outside just for bathroom breaks.  Sometimes I'm concerned about her age and what may be hard on her system,  but actually she has had no adverse side effects from the heartguard.  So just interested to hear all thoughts🙂.

Respected Contributor

My dog turned 15 May 4, 2020 and I will continue ro give him HeartgardPlus chewables until he passes.  I live in Mississippi and the humans here die regularly from West Nile and heartworms are bad for dogs.   There are lots of dogs that die during treatment if not protected.

Honored Contributor

"Heartworm disease is spread when an infected mosquito bites a dog, leaving behind microfilariae, which then become larvae and mature into adult heartworms. After mating with a male heartworm, the adult female discharges offspring into the dog's bloodstream, continuing the life cycle yet again."

Honored Contributor

I did not give kooper,he was 15, any heartworm,or shots.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.