Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU MADE PROVISIONS IN YOUR WILL

We added our pets in our wills when we revised our wills last year.  Many times, people do not even know where to start, but our attorney already had experience with pets being included in wills, which was very helpful.  Since we never know what will happen, we have a back-up plan in case those who would take our pets are no longer able. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Nightowlz  Your dad sounds like a saint.  You are blessed to have such a kind father. Smiley Happy

Yes he is. He would do anything for any of his 7 kids. Today's his 85th Birthday. I guess he gets lonely & taking care of the cats gives him something to do rather than just sitting around.

Respected Contributor

One of the reasons I adopted a greyhounds is that if anything happens to you, the greyhound adoption people will take the dog back and find it another home.  I really don't want to put family or friends in a position they wouldn't be comfortable with. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a good post. We haven't but I would hope my sister would take Chloe. My mom has mentioned a few times she needs to lut in the will of my sister can't take her then our golden rescue here in Indiana should take her. My moms brother has a golden so there is a possibility if my sister couldn't take her he would. It's a good idea to have a talk with any relatives to make sure they would take your pet.

Honored Contributor

I have discussed this with my sister, who has said she would take my dog.  She inherits my house and my money, so no need for that type of provision.  

I do have it in my Will that if she can't take my dog that she will go to a french bulldog rescue.  I have that website and contact # in my Will.  I guess I should add to my Will that a monetary donation should be made to the rescue group if that should occur.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

We have a will and a fund for the family friend who would take care of our pets.

Valued Contributor

We plan on leaving some money to whoever takes our cats. I also want to leave a donation to our animal shelter. We do not have kids so I want the animals taken care of.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

My sister would be thrilled to get my cat Bogey, and she gets a payment from one of my life insurance policies.  

A friend of mine has done the same to me so I will get her dog and life insurance if she passes first.  

These furry family members really do have "forever homes".  Heart

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom always had provisions made if her Cocker died after her, which did not happen, so she had it made that his  ashes were to be mixed with her's and spread with hers, so they would always be together....Well, they were, and she was thrown off the Mile High Bridge, at Grandfather's mountain, along with his,  at the center of the bridge, into the Cherokee mountains...... My family did not want this, as was stated in her will, and have since disowned me....My wishes were if Savannah were to die, after me, then Savannah was to be cremated, at her NATURAL DEATH   and provisions made for her in the event of her life, after my death, and after her  death,her ashes mixed with mine, after  death, if that should happen to me....Well..she died before me, and therefore, in my will, she is to be mixed with my ashes, and spread with me, in the same place that my mom is.......At no time was her baby, meaning my mom's,  nor my baby, not be  cared for, at any time....It was/ is the will of us both......I do hate when others have never thought of/think of  the lives of their pet..... 

My thought of today, is to some where, in my heart of hearts.....To find another pet to love, as I did my Savannah, and my mom's Cocker Spaniel.....As, they were the love's of my heart, along with my mom...Heart The love of an animal, for some, who have no children, is lesser  than the love of any child....EVER....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf

My Ma's beloved dog was buried in a pet cemetery.  My first dog is buried next to hers.  My Ma said when she died she wanted to be cremated and wanted her ashes put into the ground where Benji is buried.  I gave my word.  When Ma died in 2010 I told my sister, who had been her primary caregiver and lived with her, you know, you can have time to reconcile Ma's passing, however long you need.  However, at some point I will need to put Ma where she wanted to go.  Ma died in December and by the following September, my sister was ready to fulfill Ma's wishes.

I had to be careful because I am the only person who has regularly visited the pet cemetery since the late 80's.  If there had been a crowd it could have gotten dicey.

Suffice it to say she and I fulfilled Ma's wishes and felt at peace doing so.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise