Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU EVER HAD A DOG THAT DIDN'T LIKE TO

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Old english sheep dogs ,are very stuborn , i had one for 11 yrs.,she was the most hard headed dog i have ever had in my 30 years of having dogs,and you must brush every day,those matts happen daily.We took her to puppy classes, the lady teaching said oh boy a old english,of couse i got upset , she told me she never had one finish the 6 wk class,so stuborn.

@goldensrbest  I laughed when I read your post.  Yes, they can be stubborn - we have had 6 of them.  I have alway kept mine puppy clipped, thus eliminating daily brushing.  I want a pet, not a job. Smiley Happy  As far as obedience class, we only took 2 of ours to them and they both got blue ribbons. 

Do you breed them? They are clowns aren't they?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs

One of these days. will have to break down and get a happy phone. Haven't done so, have pics of Jade and d/n want to lose them! So, will have to go to AT&T store and see what they offer - never good deals as on shpg channels! But, must have everything transferred.

As soon as he arrived here, he ran out and started playing with his brand new ball in the snow.  He looked sooo cute, the transporter taped it and sent it to SCRNY and a couple of the neighbors watching him joyously jumping around came up to meet him! It's a hoot to watch.

You're lucky you've got nice weather. Just heard weather update: 18+, winds up to 55mph - since new development, this has become a wind tunnel here! Wicked, wicked winds! Will also mean lots os drifting!  I want spring! Take care and don't be concerned. Willy is a beauty.  The way I look at it, we all have different personalities and traits. Our furbabies are the same. Willy is layed back and gets his exercise his way - probably moreso than just going for a simple walk. Enjoy and savor each other!

Honored Contributor

Will he go for a walk on leash around or in your house?  Since you mentioned that when you turn around on your walks, to go home I assume, he goes lickety-split.  When our dog was a puppy she didn't like to get out of sight of our house.  She would walk fine on a leash on the driveway and around or inside the house, but try to get her farther away from her home, and she wanted no part of it.  Even if we were playing off-leash or walking in the fields, once we got too far from the house, she took off running back to it all by herself.  She outgrew that, but I'm wondering if Willie might be feeling something similar.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Old english sheep dogs ,are very stuborn , i had one for 11 yrs.,she was the most hard headed dog i have ever had in my 30 years of having dogs,and you must brush every day,those matts happen daily.We took her to puppy classes, the lady teaching said oh boy a old english,of couse i got upset , she told me she never had one finish the 6 wk class,so stuborn.

@goldensrbest  I laughed when I read your post.  Yes, they can be stubborn - we have had 6 of them.  I have alway kept mine puppy clipped, thus eliminating daily brushing.  I want a pet, not a job. Smiley Happy  As far as obedience class, we only took 2 of ours to them and they both got blue ribbons. 

Do you breed them? They are clowns aren't they?

@goldensrbest  Heavens, no LOL!!  They are clowns right up to the end........

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Will he go for a walk on leash around or in your house?  Since you mentioned that when you turn around on your walks, to go home I assume, he goes lickety-split.  When our dog was a puppy she didn't like to get out of sight of our house.  She would walk fine on a leash on the driveway and around or inside the house, but try to get her farther away from her home, and she wanted no part of it.  Even if we were playing off-leash or walking in the fields, once we got too far from the house, she took off running back to it all by herself.  She outgrew that, but I'm wondering if Willie might be feeling something similar.

@geezerette  When we turn around to head home, he walks better, however, he still lays down on the way.  DH hooked up a run line between two trees so when they play ball he would have more room to run and would be in grass.  Well, he will only run one or two times and then proceeds to lay down and root through the grass.  He prefers to run and play on our lanai.  We hook him up in the house, usually on the bed, because he runs to the bedroom when we mention going for a walk.  He then walks to the door (no dragging) and goes out into our front yard.  We might make it down 2 or 3 houses and he will lay down.......not turn around and pull to go home.  Mind you, he doesn't do this everyday, but more days than not.  We are scratching our heads to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@tends2dogs

One of these days. will have to break down and get a happy phone. Haven't done so, have pics of Jade and d/n want to lose them! So, will have to go to AT&T store and see what they offer - never good deals as on shpg channels! But, must have everything transferred.

As soon as he arrived here, he ran out and started playing with his brand new ball in the snow.  He looked sooo cute, the transporter taped it and sent it to SCRNY and a couple of the neighbors watching him joyously jumping around came up to meet him! It's a hoot to watch.

You're lucky you've got nice weather. Just heard weather update: 18+, winds up to 55mph - since new development, this has become a wind tunnel here! Wicked, wicked winds! Will also mean lots os drifting!  I want spring! Take care and don't be concerned. Willy is a beauty.  The way I look at it, we all have different personalities and traits. Our furbabies are the same. Willy is layed back and gets his exercise his way - probably moreso than just going for a simple walk. Enjoy and savor each other!

@eddyandme  Sorry to hear about your weather.  We called back home and they are expecting 2 to 4 inches.  Last week the wind was terrible there and our power was out for a day and a half.  Luckily we have a generator so the pipes won't freeze. 

I agree that like people, dogs have different quirks and personalities......I certainly wouldn't want a clone of each of our dogs.......well, maybe......Smiley Happy

We are enjoying this guy very much.  He filled a BIG void in our hearts and lives.  I know you understand.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs

We always have our furbabies by our side, we just can't see them.  So, they send us a new furbaby to help fill their void.  And, sometimes I swear they're in 'cahoots':  for instance, every now and then, Eddy does the same things Jade did. Think when that happens it's an extra sign to let us know they're still with us. Just continue loving your boy and watch for 'signs'.

It's been a windy winter around here also.  Due to the new-constructed wind tunnel, half of a shutter on an attic window got blown off!  The shutters are all screwed in! Found a piece of it in Eddy's yard. And, Friday nite my 'beware of dog - dog bites' sign got blown off the fence!  Everybody used to laugh about it anyways.  They open the gate and Eddy greets them and they play ball! At least he's no longer terrified of people - right! He's a very friendly soul. So now, I freak whenever we get super winds. Thought about a generator, but we're on the T&G line. Used to work for elec co.  When that goes down there's major problems everywhere!!!  I'm sure they've already got crew from Canada and down south heading up here.  So, hoping there'll be no extended outages.  I can handle 2-4", easy! 

Regular Contributor

Yes a Boston Terrier.TOOTSIE would walk exactly 1/2 of our walk and then sit down and not budge......sometimes I had to carry her home but as time went on she became too heavy or I became too weak to make it home....One night Tootsie sat down and I did too   Husband came along looking for us in the car She was so happy to see the car and jumped right in we had a good laugh and went home.......so it was understood if we weren't home by a certain time hubby came and got us.......she was checked over by our vet and I by my Dr. we both were fine......she just didn't want to walk very far.....

Respected Contributor

Gorgeous pup!  That is curious, every dog I know lives to walk and move!   I agree to talk to the vet to rule out health issue.  He has a very heavy coat, I'm wondering if he gets overheated easily?  My dog has a super light coat and gets cold easily, and will not go out in the snow- yikes, tomorrow will be fun... 😲☃️❄️

Look into training techniques which should help too.  All the best with your baby! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine doesn't care for walks, and likes to play ball in the house. Nothing medically wrong.

@tends2dogs