Honored Contributor

Re: HAS PETCO LOST THEIR MINDS?

@Icegoddess wrote:

At the moment they still carry the brands of canned cat foods I like to feed my cats and Petsmart doesn't, at least they didn't last time I was in their store.  So, I'll keep shopping there.  With Chewy I would have to buy a case of only one brand, one flavor.  I like to mix it up.  I save a little by taking my litter containers in and refilling them myself.  

@Icegoddess 

Even a favorite catnip toy that my cats go crazy over Chewy and Petsmart were BOTH out of it!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

At the moment they still carry the brands of canned cat foods I like to feed my cats and Petsmart doesn't, at least they didn't last time I was in their store.  So, I'll keep shopping there.  With Chewy I would have to buy a case of only one brand, one flavor.  I like to mix it up.  I save a little by taking my litter containers in and refilling them myself.  

@Icegoddess 

I saw that display and was wondering if I could buy a small amount, maybe just a pound, to mix it in with what I use now to try it out.   

Is that litter clay, or something else?   Is it scented or unscented?

@Tinkrbl44 it's clumping litter and it is unscented.  You would need to buy one of the containers at full price first and then re-fill them.  The containers have two bar codes, one for buying new and one for re-fills.  I usually re-fill 4 containers at one time and some of those containers are so old they cant even scan them anymore, so I have to make sure one of my containers is a newer one. 

I have 2 cats and 2 boxes, and I'd rather go longer between trips than worry about using a reward, so I stock up when I'm there.  

Trusted Contributor

Hello, all!  Petsmart owns Chewy.  Sorry didn't read the whole thread.  Took me too long to sign in!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - I've been a Petco customer for years and I just got that email, too.

So, first it was changing the $5 reward from 100 points to 167 points (? weird number).

They went from offering 20% off a $50 order, if you ordered online and picked up in the store, to 10% off.  (Hardly worth the gas since my nearest store is a 20-mile drive, one way.)

Now this?  And today, I stopped in the store since a friend and I were out and about.  I got a coupon this morning offering 30% off for three days only, one-time use.  It started yesterday, but they didn't email it to me till noon today.

It appeared to offer this discount on dog food, cat food or litter.  Obviously, I'm not the only one who misread it by the way they apologized and they even said it was "confusing".  I'd gotten some bags of litter and about 30 cans of cat food.  Got to the counter and found out that it was only 30% off "treats and supplies" when you bought "cat food or litter".  I said "So, there's no discount on any of this?"  "Ummm, no."  I said "Fine, then you can keep it.  I'll let you put it back."

Had I ordered online beforehand, I'd at least have gotten 15% off (another "special offer").  And a while back, I got an email offering 20% off, but when I put things in the cart, it only deducted 10%.

Add to that, the Halo and Tastefuls cans I buy are a lot cheaper in my supermarket.  I'm over it with Petco.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - Ours discontinued discounts a while ago, then closed this past summer. We frequent PetsMart. There are 3 near us.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've had reward programs end at a few local stores. They're all trying to stay in business.  If I like the store I continue to shop. 

Honored Contributor

@Venezia 

They've gone from bad to worse.  At first I thought maybe I was just being a little petty ..... um, no, I wasn't.   

I'm still mad about them discontinuing that monthly email 10% off your whole purchase thing.  Let's face it, we all want Rewards points that mean something .....  and I want to feel like I'm getting a deal!  

I haven't heard of any management shake-ups there yet, but it doesn't seem like they know what they are doing. 

I'm done with them ... unless it's an emergency.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - I still get emails every week offering 10% off a $50 order, if I order online and pick it up.  In fact, I don't even need the email; it just deducts it from my online order every time.

But, as I said, these days that $5 discount just isn't worth the drive there and back.  I'll stick with buying my cat food at the supermarket, as long as they carry the brands I need.

I'm glad I'm not the only one fed up with these changes at Petco.  The "rewards" system has just become a hassle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308 wrote:

I've had reward programs end at a few local stores. They're all trying to stay in business.  If I like the store I continue to shop. 

@Etoile308 

Sometimes these reward programs arent worth it, Id rather have things in stock and am getting frustrated with Chewy and Petsmart.....But Petco and Petsmart support adoptions and thats a reason to support them both instead of supermarket purchases---JMHO.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Regards programs are a headache for retailers. They create more data to keep track of and you'll have customers who insist they earned a reward they didn't earn, or that a reward applies to something it doesn't and that creates headaches for the staff as they try to explain to the customer why something doesn't apply to them or tell them they didn't earn a reward.

A lot of the stores that offer discount coupons put so much fine print on them that the coupon ends up applying to next to nothing and the clerks are left to deal with angry customers who want their coupon used and then storm out when they find out the thing they want is excluded from the coupon.

Instead of creating loyalty and those types of programs can alienate a customer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!