Honored Contributor

Re: Grieving Dog Finds New Home

@Sammycat1 Thank you for sharing that story and photo. So touching and heartbreaking. But beautiful too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

Thank you for posting this.

I love a happy ending!  Mr. Moose, I'm sorry your heart was broken for awhile - but, now you have a wonderful new life to look forward to with a loving family.

I pray you live a long & happy life there.  Many hugs to you Moose.   Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

A dog will mever abandon you.  A cat maybe, but never a dog.  That dog is beautiful. His posture says everything. Thank goodness, he has a home. 

@shoekitty- Those of us who love cats know that cats also feel pain and separation anxiety, when they lose a beloved "owner" and also other animal companions.  I've seen more than one of my cats over the years, search through the house for a departed "friend", even wailing.

Dogs and cats alike experience grief and know loyalty (as do many other animals, like elephants - the list goes on).

I'm glad Moose has found a new loving home.

@Venezia   I have to chime in and totally agree with you.   Have had cats all my life  and cats do feel separation and anxiety the same as dogs do and I'm positive all  animals feel grief as well .  I am thrilled moose will hsve a forever family that will help him through his grief and be lived.     Happy ending 😺

Esteemed Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Pets--dogs or cats--hurt when their owner dies. If they are loved intensely, they grieve intensely for those who loved them.

Below is a photo of Dusty, my father-in-law's cat.  As he declined rapidly from lung cancer, my sister-in-law moved her into her home to care for him.  Of course Dusty came along.

When my father-in-law passed away, Dusty was inconsolable.  He kept looking for him, crying, acting restless.

But most heartbreaking of all, as we began to box-up my father-in-law's clothing for donation one day, we couldn't find Dusty and started to turn the house upside down.  We should have looked right under our noses, for Dusty had taken up residency in a box of his owner's clothes, holding on as once did when he used to sit on his owner's lap.  We let Dusty stay there until he was ready to move for good, which was more than a week.

Loss is loss, feline or canine:

Schmoo Dusty grief.jpg

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Pets--dogs or cats--hurt when their owner dies. If they are loved intensely, they grieve intensely for those who loved them.

Below is a photo of Dusty, my father-in-law's cat.  As he declined rapidly from lung cancer, my sister-in-law moved her into her home to care for him.  Of course Dusty came along.

When my father-in-law passed away, Dusty was inconsolable.  He kept looking for him, crying, acting restless.

But most heartbreaking of all, as we began to box-up my father-in-law's clothing for donation one day, we couldn't find Dusty and started to turn the house upside down.  We should have looked right under our noses, for Dusty had taken up residency in a box of his owner's clothes, holding on as once did when he used to sit on his owner's lap.  We let Dusty stay there until he was ready to move for good, which was more than a week.

Loss is loss, feline or canine:

Schmoo Dusty grief.jpg

Oh so heartbreaking 😥  This photo is one of the saddest things I've seen.  😪. And yes, loss is loss they love unconditionally.