Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@NickNack

The connection of the peas and legumes was that that don't have taurine yet are a good protein source. The meal in pet food is a quality protein but the heat treatment tends to deactivate the taurine. In the 80"s they realized that the lack of taurine in the diet was causing the same thing in cats. So they changed regulations and required taurine to be added. Immediately they saw a reduction in the heart stuff.

Everyone is talking about the grain free foods being the problem.It looks like the problem is not the grain free foods as much as it is the lack of taurine. Even some of the cheaper dog foods are using plant proteins due to being cheaper source of protein.

So check your cat food. It should have taurine in it and you should be fine.

doxie

@doxie1  Thank you so much for your clear explanation.  The cat food does have taurine.  I've actually always checked cat food for that.  I hadn't realized that dog food needed it until all this started, but my dog food has it, too.  The cat food is grain free, but the dog food isn't.  It sounds like either is fine.  In looking at ingredients, it does seem like grain free food is more likely to have pea protein than food with grains.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@NickNack

The connection of the peas and legumes was that that don't have taurine yet are a good protein source. The meal in pet food is a quality protein but the heat treatment tends to deactivate the taurine. In the 80"s they realized that the lack of taurine in the diet was causing the same thing in cats. So they changed regulations and required taurine to be added. Immediately they saw a reduction in the heart stuff.

Everyone is talking about the grain free foods being the problem.It looks like the problem is not the grain free foods as much as it is the lack of taurine. Even some of the cheaper dog foods are using plant proteins due to being cheaper source of protein.

So check your cat food. It should have taurine in it and you should be fine.

doxie

@doxie1  Thank you so much for your clear explanation.  The cat food does have taurine.  I've actually always checked cat food for that.  I hadn't realized that dog food needed it until all this started, but my dog food has it, too.  The cat food is grain free, but the dog food isn't.  It sounds like either is fine.  In looking at ingredients, it does seem like grain free food is more likely to have pea protein than food with grains.

Please watch the video I posted explaining the research at this point.  Dr. Bessent is a holistic vet and she knows what she is talking about.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I had changed my dog's food to V-Dog about 5 months ago, and found one very positve change-- his hair on his chest and for that matter all over his body grew in very thick and lush.  I thought that was a good sign.  Then, his breathing changed out of the blue, and I wondered if it could be the food change.  I had been feeding him raw duck nuggets from Primal, and then they had a recall due to larger bone fragments being found in their food.  My vet recommended V-Dog, and so I started the transition.  I always give real food with the kibble or nuggets, like organic kale and organic quinoa.  I took my dog to the vet and she found nothing wrong with him, but I know that he is not his "normal" self.

I will be stopping the V-Dog kibble immediately, and go back to the expensive duck and kale and quinoa combination that never gave him a problem.  It's sad that my dog has problems with both beef and chicken, because over 90% of dog food seems to have chicken and beef as main ingredients.  Those animal proteins gave him colitis.  Only duck and rabbit have worked out for him.

I am hoping to find a good, larger bag of appropriate food for him that he will eat, not because I am lazy, but because with all the instability and uncertainty in this world, I really want to have a feeling of "food security" for my dog.  

@Jersey Born  I feed my Willie Primal beef ground chub.    I don't know how big of a dog you have, but they come in a 2 or 5 pound frozen roll.  I know that the rabbit and duck are more expensive in the line.  You mentioned that your dog can't handle beef or chicken.  Have you tried the turkey?  Sometimes dogs can handle one and not the other - chicken or turkey.  Willie has inflammatory bowel disease and so it was a bit of trial and error.  He is doing well on this.  I am not changing protein because I don't know what is down the road and I want to have protein options to try if he becomes sensitive again.  The grinds cost less than the nuggets.  I have tried those too.  I completely understand what you mean about having "food security".  That is why I have a freezer full for my security and Willie's. Woman Wink

Also, all this hoopla about grains.  Dogs don't need grains.  It is nothing but an allergy waiting to happen and/or digestive problems. 

I wish you luck with this.  You are doing the right thing switching back to raw.  Your dog will be happy!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!