Honored Contributor

Grain Free Dog Food is still under investigation as a cause of death and heart problems in dogs

I read an article which explains the on going investigation into the deaths of many dogs and illness in cats as a result of fours that are grain free and contain peas, lentils and other ingredients. Take a moment, if you are interested, and read this article. https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEDdxyRRND0Oyx_-ZOI4bGxgqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowvIaCCzDnxf4CMN2F8gU?hl=...
Honored Contributor

Re: Grain Free Dog Food is still under investigation as a cause of death and heart problems in dogs

Those of us that worry about this , keep ourselves informed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Grain Free Dog Food is still under investigation as a cause of death and heart problems in dogs

I bought into the hype that our dogs, as descendants of wolves, need to eat MEAT, or grain free dog food.  Even introducing it slowly, my dog became really sick.  When I went back to dog food with both MEAT and grains, she returned to good health.

Honored Contributor

It seems that so far, the concern is that grain free dog foods do not have sufficient amounts of taurine which is crucial to heart health in dogs.

It is not the breeds that heart health is a genetic problem, but many other breeds as well.

So it is crucial to follow these reports,

though not conclusive, this is the direction they are going to so far.

Cats have not experienced the same alarming uptake in heart problems as dogs because cat food was fortified with sufficient amounts of taurine when recognized that esp older cats need this for heart health.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

All the dog food companies jumped on the grain free,years ago ,we bought into it, they replaced some of the meats,ect with peas ,legumes , try to find food with grains is not easy.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

All the dog food companies jumped on the grain free,years ago ,we bought into it, they replaced some of the meats,ect with peas ,legumes , try to find food with grains is not easy.

Make your own...ever so easy.I made pet food after the first China scare when my dog got sick.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Thankyou so much for all of your informative posts. I for one appreciate any update or information on subjects that affect our lives.  Some posters can be rude or blunt about your posts... but they are only a very few.  Just ignore them.  I am sure most here like being updated on important health updates.   Important Information can only enhance and improve our lives  if it is information that affects the health of our family and pets.

This subject of grain free dog food and heart issues for dogs is very concerning and upsetting... the consumer was sucked into the belief of  grain free as being the holy grail of feeding dogs..... and because we love our pets and want the best for them... many people went grain free and come to find that their loved pets are now suffering the consequences....  

I was one of those customers   who fell for the grain free advertising..... and switched off of grain free and pea and lentil laden dog food about three years ago.     My dog never needed grain free and does just fine on grains and meat formulas.  Lesson learned. 

Respected Contributor

In my opinion, there can never be too much information. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

In my opinion, there can never be too much information. 

If you have a dog ,you should keep on top of info.,what upsets me ,is very few of the dog food companies have added foods with grains.

Honored Contributor

It's so hard to find a food with grains.  I feed Frankie Wellness Complete Health (not grain free) and can't find it locally.  I've looked at four places--PetSmart, PetCo, Pet Supplies Plus and another local store.  They all carry Wellness but only the grain free.  Pet Supplies Plus carries a 5 lb. bag, but that's not what I want.  I have to order it.  

When I look at other brands in these stores, it's pretty much the same situation for the brands that I would consider.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau