Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Good thoughts please for my Story girl tomorrow

This morning, while letting my greyhound, Story, out of her crate, I heard a yelp.  She immediately handed me her paw.  Blood gushing, her nail was almost completely torn off.  I took her to the vet and tomorrow they are going to remove it.  Please think good thoughts for my girl tomorrow.  They are going to give her shots to relax her (not anesthesia as they are very sensitive to it) and remove the nail.  I will pick her up in the afternoon and will let you all know how it goes. 

019.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Good thoughts please for my Story girl tomorrow

I'm so sorry @hoosieroriginal.  That sounds very painful for her.  I hope all goes well tomorrow.  Did it happen as she was getting out of her crate?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I'm so sorry @hoosieroriginal.  That sounds very painful for her.  I hope all goes well tomorrow.  Did it happen as she was getting out of her crate?

@NickNack - yes, it was dark in the room and she tends to paw the door for me to open it.  When I opened the door, it got caught somewhere (not sure) and pulled it off.  I have just put a towel on the bottom inside of the door to prevent that hopefully from happening again.  She is licking it (it's sticking almost straight up) but she has gone outside a couple of times and seems okay.  Dr. says it's possible it will be pulled off before tomorrow because it's pretty loose.  Dr. didn't want to leave her alone by herself at the vet today if she performed the procedure today. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@NickNack - yes, it was dark in the room and she tends to paw the door for me to open it.  When I opened the door, it got caught somewhere (not sure) and pulled it off.  I have just put a towel on the bottom inside of the door to prevent that hopefully from happening again.  She is licking it (it's sticking almost straight up) but she has gone outside a couple of times and seems okay.  Dr. says it's possible it will be pulled off before tomorrow because it's pretty loose.  Dr. didn't want to leave her alone by herself at the vet today if she performed the procedure today. 

That sounds wise to not leave her alone at the Vet's today.  It seems like it would be good if it just came off on its own.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

That sounds wise to not leave her alone at the Vet's today.  It seems like it would be good if it just came off on its own.

@NickNack  - she won't be alone tomorrow - that's why they wanted to wait until tomorrow.  Today is Sunday and no one would have been there with her all day.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@NickNack  - she won't be alone tomorrow - that's why they wanted to wait until tomorrow.  Today is Sunday and no one would have been there with her all day.

I understood why they wanted to wait until tomorrow.  I just thought it might be good if it came off on its own because it would be less stressful for her.  Of course, with the numbing it might not be that stressful.

-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Contributor

Keeping good thoughts for your sweet girl. Please let us know if all went well.

Esteemed Contributor

Poor Baby!  That must really hurt!  Shadow and I will keep Story in our hearts, sending positive thoughts - for you, too, as I think we hurt as much as they hurt when are babies are in pain...Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  Poor Story.  Poor you.  

When they are in pain, we are also in pain for them.

Sending healing thoughts & prayers for her!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

Why do you find it necessary to keep a pet caged?  Like being in prison.  I have had many dogs my entire life and have never resorted to caging.  Free range of  the house and their own beds.  Proper training should make caging unnecessary.  How would you like to be in a cage!