Respected Contributor

Re: Good news for pet parents!

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

That sounds great. Both ideas. My tuxedo adopted feral cat is a silly girl.  She attacks me if I have raw chicken out so I have to put her in her room while the raw food is out.  I cook chicken for her.  I think it is better than what is canned or dried.  She does not like dry food and she hates the smell of seafood.  Anytime I gave her a can of (cat food) tuna or salmon, she wanted to bury it like poo poo, so -- and I discussed with vet, and he thinks I am taking on a lot of work but he does not think giving her cooked chicken is a bad idea as long as I am willing to do it.  He thinks what is cooked in my kitchen is better than what is being fed our animals from China, much of what has been killing our pets.

@Nonametoday 

Funny this came up .... I heard a story from a neighborhood friend about a relative.  She had fed her precious dog cooked chicken -- never dog food -- and it was pretty much all her pet ate. 

Fast forward a few years and the animal died.  The owner was devastated and insisted on an autopsy to determine why her dear fur baby died.  The cause of death ... malnutrition.  The pet was fed good quality protein, but the diet was totally lacking in many of the important vitamins and minerals needed to stay healthy.  Just fyi.

@Tinkrbl44 

Unfortunately that makes sense for a dog because, like humans, they're omniverous and require a variety of nutrients in their diet.

@FancyPhillyshopper 

The steep rise in the incidents of diabetes and certain cancers in our pets has been directly attributed to the commercial pet food industry. I'm doing my due diligence to keep my girls in good health for as long as possible.

I am not clear exactly what point you are making.  You are complaining about pet food but all your first post did was just mention some new brands you are trying.  Again, I state pet food has VASTLY improved in both quality and ingredients. 

However, some owners overfeed their pets and also make cheap choices, which can impact health.  Excess weight and cheap processed meats are a major cause of diabetes.

Overall, pets are living longer which is why we are seeing more serious diseases. Cats with sensitive skin can develop cancer at any age from just from one shot (any kind)!  Cats MUST have the minerals and vitamins that are in commercial pet food, as no home diet can truly replicate it.  Again, wet cat food is much better than dry food for a variety of reasons, especially hydration.

Honored Contributor

Re: Good news for pet parents!

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper 

My "point" was to share my discovery that while we're all doing our best for our loved ones here's a place with a good selection and a way to save money while you're doing it! Nothing nefarious going on here

@CalminHeart  Apparently if you choose the auto delivery option it's an automatic 35% off (initial order) which, thereafter, is the same auto delivery price as chewy. (at least with the cat food I compared)