Honored Contributor

My girls, cats, are all seniors now so I've been researching better food choices because many of the ailments that are killing our pets are due to the lack of regulations in the pet food industry.
The first bag we tried was taste of the wilderness and now we're working on blue wilderness which they're crazy about! Next I'm trying instinct limited ingredient/no grain raw food because in the reviews many cat parents stated their regular pukers stopped entirely!

Sophie had a clean bill of health but she clearly has some digestive issues so I can't wait to see if this improves things.

The good news is that Petco offers the same broad selection (on line) as chewy but their free shipping threshold is lower and their auto delivery, which is on many things, is a substantial savings in comparison to chewy!

Just thought I would share

Trusted Contributor

Re: Good news for pet parents!

It's been a while since I have cared for a cat.  I am staying with a friend during these stay at home times.  She took in a cat that was left behind by someone in the neighborhood.  She never had a cat and was even feaful of him.  He's a middle aged Tuxedo she named Felix.  He follows her around like a dog outside and inside.   He guards the house.   But he sleeps with me.  

I went looking for treats for him and found a made in the USA brand that has good nutrition.   It is called Tiki.  There are NUMEROUS varieties of canned and even dry food.   Look through their website and their blog on the website for special needs and ideas and information.   They are sold at Petsmart, Petco, and Chewy, as well as many local stores. 

They even have dog food.  Our cat is addicted to their tuna and pumpkin treats!   And, boy, do they work!  

Honored Contributor

That sounds great. Both ideas. My tuxedo adopted feral cat is a silly girl.  She attacks me if I have raw chicken out so I have to put her in her room while the raw food is out.  I cook chicken for her.  I think it is better than what is canned or dried.  She does not like dry food and she hates the smell of seafood.  Anytime I gave her a can of (cat food) tuna or salmon, she wanted to bury it like poo poo, so -- and I discussed with vet, and he thinks I am taking on a lot of work but he does not think giving her cooked chicken is a bad idea as long as I am willing to do it.  He thinks what is cooked in my kitchen is better than what is being fed our animals from China, much of what has been killing our pets.

Respected Contributor

I have been a cat owner for half a century and currently have six, ranging in age from three to almost sixteen.

I consider myself an excellent pet parent, and I am also an avid researcher. 

I disagree that lack of food regulations are killing our cats.  In my opinion, cat food has improved immensely in the past decade!  Some pet owners do not wish to spend the time or money on wise food choices.  Cat medical care has also become more cutting edge, and helps cats live longer, but is very costly as well.   

My first cat was my oldest cat and lived until almost twenty, and she had diabetes.

Most of my cats have been long haired Persians, who can easily get hair balls, so good diets are essential.  Right now my oldest boy has cancer and is receiving chemotherapy. 

Here is what I have learned about cat diets:

Cats are carnivores and need a lot of protein, and must have taurine in their diets.

Soft food is much better than hard food.

Some of the preservatives in cans are not healthy.

Raw food diets can be dangerous for cats with weaker immune systems.

Cats like variety and different tastes just like people.  I make sure my cats have fish, meat, and many different tastes and flavors of high quality food.  I always have a smorgasboard of hard food as well as twice daily soft food options. Some cats like to lick versus chew. Cats will sometimes prefer to eat out of certain types of bowls. Aroma can stimulate appetite. 

I limit all treats.

It is better to make sure that a cat eats, rather than worry about exactly what it eats.

No cat should ever starve--appetite stimulants, baby food, syringe and/or bottle feeding are all ways to support an ill pet.

P.S.  I also have dogs and parakeets

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo 

Thank you for this information.  If I tire of cooking chicken for my silly girl, I will give this a try.  It sounds like a good idea.  So does the Tiki.  I have had a hard time finding what she likes.  So I resorted to poultry as that seemed to be her preference.

You would think since I saved her life from a bevy of male cats and an alternative water-filled sewer, she would be happy with anything I gave her but she is a diva.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

That sounds great. Both ideas. My tuxedo adopted feral cat is a silly girl.  She attacks me if I have raw chicken out so I have to put her in her room while the raw food is out.  I cook chicken for her.  I think it is better than what is canned or dried.  She does not like dry food and she hates the smell of seafood.  Anytime I gave her a can of (cat food) tuna or salmon, she wanted to bury it like poo poo, so -- and I discussed with vet, and he thinks I am taking on a lot of work but he does not think giving her cooked chicken is a bad idea as long as I am willing to do it.  He thinks what is cooked in my kitchen is better than what is being fed our animals from China, much of what has been killing our pets.

@Nonametoday 

Funny this came up .... I heard a story from a neighborhood friend about a relative.  She had fed her precious dog cooked chicken -- never dog food -- and it was pretty much all her pet ate. 

Fast forward a few years and the animal died.  The owner was devastated and insisted on an autopsy to determine why her dear fur baby died.  The cause of death ... malnutrition.  The pet was fed good quality protein, but the diet was totally lacking in many of the important vitamins and minerals needed to stay healthy.  Just fyi.

Respected Contributor

My vet said not to feed my cats grain free.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dog will eat anything but his tummy can act up if I change his food - it has to be done by gradually adding more of the new with the old.  

IMO, there is no need to change unless the animal develops a new sensitivity or ailment.  

It may be different for cats, but Petco's dog food is almost always more expensive than Chewy auto-orders.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart   Beagles will eat whatever you put in their dish. Molly has kibbles recommended by the vet and purchased from Amazon...delivered automatically at regular intrvals. It's really nothing special...chicken and veggies. 

Of all (quite a few) the dogs I 've had, none needed a special diet or food except Sadie (before/at same time as Molly before passing 18 months ago). She was put on a special diet after being diagnosed with Cushing. Yes, new food has to be introduced slowly mixed in with their regular food.  

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

My vet said not to feed my cats grain free.

@catter70 

did he/she say why? Everything I've read states the opposite.