Valued Contributor

Recently a house slid down a hill due to all the rain we've had recently. The soil is saturated and can't hold together any more ('m glad to say that since this incident, we've had some tolerable weather with no rain) so the house went sliding down the hillside.

The owners weren't there and so they assumed their two dogs were dead and the body of one has been found. And right next to it, hungry and thirsty but alive,was their other dog! I'm sorry they lost one of their dogs (we all know how us animal lovers feel about our pets) but so glad one lived.

On another subject: I had to euthanize my cat about 6 months ago and now, I swear, I'm seeing her all over the place. She used to sleep on my bed close to me to I could reach over and pet her; she was a small Himalayan and now I'm seeing her out of the corner of my eyes all over the place. There are time when I SWEAR I could feel her climbing onto my bed and lay close to my feet which she used to do all the time.

And there's times I feel like I can hear her little feet going up and down the hall. I miss her so much; could I be having "hallucinations" or something like that?

I've considered adopting another cat; No one could possibly compare to the cat I lost but there are a lot of cats that need homes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Good news and bad news

[ Edited ]

Wish I hadn't read that!

Just what I need-not!

More sad bad news from news across everyones town as if we all don't have enough sad or bad in our own lives or town as it is.

I know some like to share what is sad to them even if none of us know the people but I always hope not to do that. Sometimes we need to, to share our sorrow but again, I'll know not to read most things I guess.

Some people put spoiler-sad in the title or something like it, which helps for those that would rather not read all the sad things people can find!

And no I don't expect the trite phrase of we can't always have "rainbows and unicorns." Just not having to share every sad thing that everyone reads across the country!!

And I'm nt referring to major national news or celbrity/famous people deaths or even personal losses or sad things, just sad stories from local towns that are not someone anyone knows, but make anyone sad to read it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'm always glad I live on a hill - away from potential flood waters.  But I guess there are downsides to that too!

Good luck with your new cat.  I hope she or he isn't spooked by the ghost of your Himalayan.  Cats can be so territorial.

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 You are not alone in feeling the presence of a pet that has passed. Our bulldog was the most dynamic and personable pet we have ever had. She was a force of nature and became a favorite of our vets and their techs in both Texas and New Mexico.  She died in New Mexico. When we returned home to Texas at the end of summer, both my husband and I felt her presence. I know I saw her out of the corner of my eye when I was walking past her room. Another morning, I heard her noise she liked to make. These experiences lasted a month or so and since that time we have heard or seen nothing.

Maybe they are checking up on us to see if we are OK. 

Honored Contributor

I had the same things happen to me for a while right after I had to euthanize my cat.  I thought I would see him out of the corner of my eye, especially in his favorite spots in the house.  I think it's natural if you've been close for many years.

I did adopt another kitty several months after he died.  The new one has a completely different personality.  I thought I was getting one because my remaining cat seemed lonesome after his buddy was gone, but these two, while friends, don't get along as well as the one did with my last one.

It's a personal choice whether or not to get another, of course.  But you are right--there are so many needing a home.  Especially now.  Most shelters are overrun with animals at this time.

Respected Contributor

This isnt really what happened. This is in Seattle on a bluff in Magnolia looking out over the Puget Sound, beautiful home slid down the bluff with the 2 owners and their 2 dogs inside. Homeowners were able to crawl out but the dogs were trapped inside, this happened a week ago. They hadnt found their dogs, black lab retriever mixes, family carefully in and out during this week trying to get what they could out.

The wife thought she heard a whimper as she was crawing out but never heard anymore, figured the dog had passed. A couple family members in and out, someone thought they heard a whimper this week but thats all, didnt hear it again until yesterday. They cut a hole up thru the floor and there was one of the dogs, still alive, apparently was in an air pocket but obviously stressed. They pulled her out, both mom and dog were whimpering, even my eyes welled up watching the news last night, it was such a wonderful thing to see after all they have been thru. The doggie is now being care for at an emergency care, can imagine she was horribly dehydrated. Unfortunitely the other dog they presumed did not make it.

If you google Seattle Magnolia house slides down bluff you can probably see the story, I havent checked but surely its there. Im still chocking back tears.  Heart

Valued Contributor

Re: Good news and bad news

[ Edited ]

yes I knew the information about where they lived and all that but left it out due to privacy concerns--for both me and them. And after I'd warned that there was both good news and bad news but didn't put up a spoiler alert, I didn't think I'd get chewed out.

Live and learn, I guess.

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 I have a similar thing happening with my beloved 15 year old cat Eddie we had to put down, old age, in August of 2020. I swear I have heard his wonderful meow a few times, its a struggle between happiness and gut wrenching pain when this happens. I miss him sooo much everyday still. I lost my mom in June of 2020, it was a horrible summer, my heart is broken.

I believe you when you see your baby, Ive heard these stories before altho I dont know what it means. Take care of yourself and if you think getting another baby will help heal your heart, do it.   Heart

Super Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

yes I knew the information about where they lived and all that but left it out due to privacy concerns--for both me and them. And after I'd warned that there was both good news and bad news but didn't put up a spoiler alert, I didn't think I'd get chewed out.

Live and learn, I guess.

If it makes you feel better...this story was on the Today Show this morning. So it was on the National news and it was a heartwarming moment when the owners were reunited with their dog. 

Honored Contributor

When my beautiful Ruby colored Cavalier King Charles Spaniel died suddenly, I felt her jumping into my bed every night and sleeping up against me until my tan and black Cavalier passed two months later.

After the second dog passed, neither one has visited.  I supposed they are happy together on the other side.

@PuppyLoverBob666   I don't think you are hallucinating.  Pets do come back to visit.

Yes, it is time to get another kitty or two.  They are a comfort to us.