Honored Contributor

Re: Good Low Protein Dog Food?

[ Edited ]

Awww, please don't ever say that @nougat.  You do the best you can. 

It's horrible watching your heart which is what my poodle was to me live out her last days and I only got 12 years.  I would have done anything for an extra 5.  There is nothing I can say that is going to make it better for you.  My whole heart and prayers are so with you.  I'll say a special one to St. Francis for her.  Heart  She is so lucky to have you for her owner.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Laura14

Thank you sooo much @Laura14.  my hope is that all who read this will indeed pray and Im hoping St. Francis takes pity on me to interceed on Tote's behalf.

i just feel that I have failed her and the guilt is unbearable. please pray!

and let the prayers turn this time around that has been wasted by me.

and maybe heal her enough to give me time for dedicating myself to totally healing her. i will do whatever it takes to save this precious girl !  Heart

Honored Contributor

Completely understand @nougat.  I did everything too.  Unfortunately, it was St. Francis' turn to take care of my girl until I come home too.  Please don't blame yourself.  You only do your best and no one can ever ask for anything else.   I really do hope and pray you have more time with her.   Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't blame yourself for not doing it right away when you thought the senior food would be fine.  Since you know now that it's not, I would go to the Vet's today if possible and get the prescription food.  You need to switch over gradually, though, so as not to upset her stomach.

Yes, I will say a prayer for your sweet baby.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Laura14

Thank you!  i didnt have her the whole 17 years. She was a rescue from a horrible puppy mill existence. just horrible. when i got her the vet guessed she was around 4 so i had her for 13 yrs. we dont know her exact age, just what he guessed way back then to now.

she had a horrific life living in a rabbit cage so scared and so neglected and so abused!

i dedicated my life from the moment i got her to making up for every day in that hell place to her. she is so dear! she has given me back more than I could ever give her.

please pray!

Honored Contributor

@nougat  You are a blessing in every way and an example to emulate. Heart 

Super Contributor

@NickNack

thanks @NickNack.  i just know I should have been more on top of things for her and thats whats hard to take. that I failed her. she depends on me for everything.

ugh hate this feeling. i hope she will be ok.  vet appt is May 30th.

thanks for reminder to chg food gradually.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost my little Yorkie, "HOSS," to kidney disease a few years ago.  He was 15 years old, so couldn't expect him to really totally recover, but I researched online and made him homemade dog food and gave him supplements.  I got his kidney numbers under control.   My vet said he was amazed.  Hoss then developed neurological problems and had seizures and would literally scream all night.  Sadly, we had to let him go.  If anyone has a pet that wanders around and just sits and stares at a wall or acts like they don't know where they are, get them to a vet immediately.  That's a sign of kidney disease.  My baby was doing that, but I just thought it was old age.  Everyone should get senior dogs tested every year to check their kidney levels and try to catch it in its early stages.  My vet said it isn't so much the protein in the food as the PHOSPHOROUS that you want to be low.  They have prescription foods, but the dogs usually lose their appetites.  I had to hand feed hoss and he like one formula I made with chicken and potatoes or egg and potatoes with ground up eggshells for calcium or a calcium supplement.  There are many online recipes for homemade food for kidney paitents.

Honored Contributor

@nougat.  You can check the nutritional value of any dog food on a website called "dogfoodadvisor.com".

Owners of elderly dogs should check out the symptoms of "old dog disease" which seems to be fairly common.  One of my Collies had it and my vet recognized it immediately.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Laura14

thank you @Laura14 for your special kind words. They have helped today!

you are so kind!  Bless you!