Super Contributor

what is a good low protein dog food for senior dogs with failing kidneys?

found out my sweet tiny 17 year Yorkie has started having kidney problems.

she has been having many accidents and peeing bed at night and all through day.

she always was a frequent pee-er but now way worse. please help!

Regular Contributor

Re: Good Low Protein Dog Food?

Hey not sure if you are interested in home cooking meals but I just got a vet approved recipe on balanceit. My dog has bladder stones and needs something with lower protein. He didn't like the prescription dog foods in store.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure the accidents are from the kidney issues and not a bladder infrction?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@sawst14

@CrazyDaisy

Yes, I would be interested in home made dog food recipes!

the vet did blood and urine tests galore. so that is what he said, kidney effects.

she goes back May 30th for another urine collection and re-check.

her blood pressure was up some to last visit so she is now on small dose of Enalipril.

i am so worried about her!

Honored Contributor

I hope your little one gets better soon.  Heart  

Please check with a vet but my mother's dog did mostly rice and a bit of chicken mixed with cottage cheese.  

Honored Contributor

With the trend going to high protein foods, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a low protein one unless you go with a prescription diet.  What does your Vet suggest?  I'd be inclined to use a prescription diet in this case unless you want to cook for your dog, which would also be an option.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

On Balanceit.com you can select all the conditions your pet has and then you can review what ingredients you want to cook for the meal. You then put in your dog's specifics like weight and age and they send it to your veterinary to approve. All the recipes they show you are already analyzed by nutritionists and give the breakdown of vitamins, etc. The one I selected for my dog is white rice, water, lean ground beef, beef broth, and a fish oil.  My vet was the one who recommended the website. My dog seems to be really enjoying it since we started a couple weeks ago.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

With the trend going to high protein foods, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a low protein one unless you go with a prescription diet.  What does your Vet suggest?  I'd be inclined to use a prescription diet in this case unless you want to cook for your dog, which would also be an option.

Agree with @NickNack.  I'm kind of surprised that your vet did not suggest a food for your baby.  I would call your vet's office and get a recommendation from them.  My dog is on prescription Royal Canin SO for urinary issues.  It has 14% protein.

Super Contributor

@Ainhisg

thanks for the recommendation!  the vet did say if I couldnt find one he has prescription Hills Science Diet low protein food to try. i just let it go and thought I can use the Iams Senior that I had just bought  huge bag of and they liked. so I got preoccupied with life and now am feeling oh so guilty about it all.... that I didnt research right away!

why wouldnt I ? she is my LIFE!!!  oh I cant understand why I screw up so bad!

why I dont do the important things right away??? i am so scared now!

its just been a couple months but my eyes are open to wondering what the heck I was thinking in not making this a priority. just thought that Iam Senior would be ok to use up since its for senior dogs and should be low in protein if its for senior dogs.

i put in tupperware and didnt have the bag.

oh I need to get this out! sorry! but i hate myself for not taking serious months ago!

please please pray for my little Tote so that I can make this wrong a right and good will come out of it, since had i researched right away I would not be asking for prayers.

Super Contributor

@sawst14 @NickNack @Laura14 @CrazyDaisy

please see my last reply. asking for prayers for my tiny Tote.

she is my LIFE. i want to give her all the help I can get.

Thank You so much !!  sometimes I feel so STUPID!