Honored Contributor

Re: Golden Retrievers

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Goldens are the sweetest dogs ever.

One of my goldens loved birds so much. She loved watching and listening to them every morning when I would let her out. Then one spring a robin made a nest on my deck and my golden guarded it like it was her own family. She would check the nest everyday and make sure everything was okay She would sit and watch the chicks as they grew up. When that nest was empty she knew it and I could tell by they way she acted it was empty. 

Oh, that's priceless!  Only a Golden, huh?  Woman Wink

@spent2much    No, a Collie would have the same demeanor.  They are just as sweet and gentle.  The only difference is that they herd rather than retrieve.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

That's "Bob". Heart

He's a famous celeb on social media and is also patient.with his hamster. 8)

Thanks for sharing this angel on earth, my favorite breed.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Goldens are great dogs, but there may have been a wee bit of Photoshop work going on there. The parakeets and cockatiels can be tamed and trained to sit on his/her paws, but the finches are less likely to have been tamed and trained. Finches are pretty active, maybe hyperactive, little birds, and getting two to sit still anywhere for long is a challenge. Getting two to sit still on a dog's paws with other birds nearby....well, I suppose it's possible, in a perfect world, but my gut says that photo was highly edited. 

@gardenman    Maybe or maybe not.  I prefer to think NOT.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Goldens are great dogs, but there may have been a wee bit of Photoshop work going on there. The parakeets and cockatiels can be tamed and trained to sit on his/her paws, but the finches are less likely to have been tamed and trained. Finches are pretty active, maybe hyperactive, little birds, and getting two to sit still anywhere for long is a challenge. Getting two to sit still on a dog's paws with other birds nearby....well, I suppose it's possible, in a perfect world, but my gut says that photo was highly edited. 

@gardenman    Maybe or maybe not.  I prefer to think NOT.

I've raised all three types of birds in the past and I could get the cockatiels and parakeets to go along with the plan, but the finches? Eh, no. Even when hand-raised from babies, finches, at least mine, were never that cooperative. They are a very active bird. I'd have them finger-trained and they'd land on a finger and perch there for a second or two, then they'd be off. Cockatiels and parakeets will happily perch someplace and stay there for a bit. Finches, not so much. It's a cute picture though. If there weren't finches in it, I'd believe it more. When I see the finches, it raises a red flag.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I saw this title and had to respond.  A Golden Retriever made my mom's day this week.  She is in a Hospice home. In walks the most gentle and loving Golden Retriever and lays it's chin on her bed.  Mom likes dogs and she immediately just started petting it with big smiles and telling it "what a good doggie you are".  We won't have mom much longer. It warmed my heart to see the smiles this dog brought to her face.