Respected Contributor

I certainly understand all those folks who say adopt a dog from a shelter, but I am one of those people who will not--number one, I only want a specific breed, and almost all the shelter dogs in the city are pit bulls (some bred to fight and kill), and number two, I only bring puppies in my household, since I have other pets and they need to learn how to interact with them.  (Almost all shelter dogs here are adults, but I have adopted kittens.)

I am now on the third dog of the same breed, and will definitely purchase the same kind of puppy from a reputable breeder.

By the way, it is impossible to predict what kind of illnesses or accidents could happen to any animal or person.

Honored Contributor

Re: Golden Retriever Puppy

[ Edited ]

I am sorry, i lost my golden spirit a little over a month ago,it is very hard without him,cancer also,but there is just so much to love about this breed,  they are very special.I have contacted so many breeders ,no one is having any because of this virus. i want a breeder that loves this breed,and does clearences, has history of their dogs,on k9 data.Also, OFFA. org is very important.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I certainly understand all those folks who say adopt a dog from a shelter, but I am one of those people who will not--number one, I only want a specific breed, and almost all the shelter dogs in the city are pit bulls (some bred to fight and kill), and number two, I only bring puppies in my household, since I have other pets and they need to learn how to interact with them.  (Almost all shelter dogs here are adults, but I have adopted kittens.)

I am now on the third dog of the same breed, and will definitely purchase the same kind of puppy from a reputable breeder.

By the way, it is impossible to predict what kind of illnesses or accidents could happen to any animal or person.

Each breed has their health problems, i agree.

Trusted Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.   

I bet you never heard of Clancy's Cure.  Seems that Golden Retreivers have a propencity to cancer.  A family that suffered a loss as yours approached Cornell U Vet Institute to study this problem.  The endowed Clancy's Cure research program.  They are trying to breed out this deadly disease from the breed.   

They do breed Goldens but they appropriately adopt out the puppies to loving homes.   Maybe this could be an avenue to get a happy little Golden    They are in Ithica NY.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/giving/making-difference/helping-find-cure-canine-cancer

Or, since Goldens are also bred for Seeing Eye Guide dogs, they could have a happy guide dog fail to adopt.  Contact the Seeing Eye foundation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mega Shopper 

I am so sorry for your loss. I waited a long time, several years, between

the loss of our first golden to our second. But we are thrilled to have a

wonderful, loving gentle friend now with us.You do what is best for you.

I wish you luck in finding your next best friend for life. If you do find the

right pup for you, make sure he/she has all the proper clearances and is

in the best of health. 

Here is my baby Meadow.

20200731_123305.jpg

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@Mega Shopper 

I am so sorry for your loss. I waited a long time, several years, between

the loss of our first golden to our second. But we are thrilled to have a

wonderful, loving gentle friend now with us.You do what is best for you.

I wish you luck in finding your next best friend for life. If you do find the

right pup for you, make sure he/she has all the proper clearances and is

in the best of health. 

Here is my baby Meadow.

20200731_123305.jpg

Look at that sweet girl,love her name,and that smile.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm so very sorry for your loss.i lost my furbaby Oct 3, very suddenly so I share your heartache.

I too have been searching rescues,but I panic when i consider adopting another furbaby. 

I find it  is very hard to adopt from the "specialty" rescues

Even though I haveb een donateing monthly for many,many   years to two very popular special rescues,they are not very considerate  and make it very hard. I don't know if that is a good thing or not for the poor  dogs needing forever home.

Scaming is rampent .Be careful.

Honored Contributor

@Mega Shopper 

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. This pandemic has made it difficult for many breeders to have pups. I hope you will be able to find one near you. 

Regular Contributor

Our golden just turned 13 after having major surgery this summer. She is a beautiful red golden, our second rescue from DVGRR, Delaware Valley Golden Retriever rescue, located here in PA. She is our 2nd rescue from them, our very first was a gift from our neighbors in 1988  - a puppy!

The DVGRR used to rescue only goldens but have also taken in dogs and pups that come from breeders, people who just can't or want their dogs anymore. They also take in labs, doodles, etc. Take a look at their website - they sometimes have pups..Look  it up under Delaware Valley Golden Retriever rescue. Just to get info and ideas. Very impressive organization.

Trusted Contributor

@Mega Shopper   I am so sorry for your loss.  You might try contacting  golden retriever dog rescue organizations in your area.  I have researched organizations in my area when I lost my yellow lab a few years back.  I adopted two puppies from the dog shelter 10 years ago.  They were from the same litter.  They are the most lovable companions.  They are almost 11 years old now, pointer/lab mix.  Good luck to you.