Contributor

My golden retriever passed away last week at age 11, he was suffering with cancer.  It's so lonely in my home without him.  I'm one of those people that get a new puppy right away to keep me busy so I can stop crying.

I live in South Jersey.  I can't find any puppies in my area and after checking out some websites, I was interested in a couple.  When I checked the BBB about both of them, I found out that they were running scams.

Does anyone know of a reputable golden retriever breeder?  In PA or NJ or DE would be ideal, but if they're further away, I would consider if somebody could make a referral.  Please help me find a golden.  With Covid, it is so hard to find an available puppy!

Honored Contributor

@megashopper I'm so sorry to hear about your furry family member.  I know how much it hurts.  I lost my 14 year old lab mix in July and think of her everyday.

As for a new puppy I can't help with a good breeder though I'm in SE PA.  Have you considered a shelter or rescue?  I'm not sure if there is a lab rescue in the area but I would check online.

Good luck with your search.

Honored Contributor

Re: Golden Retriever Puppy

[ Edited ]

@megashopper   I'm so very sorry for the loss of your golden retriever.  I understand wanting to find another dog soon.

Go to Golden Retriever Club of America's website (gtca.org) and cllick on "Find A Golden."  There is referral information there.  Do not buy from a backyard breeder.  Many "breeders" that you will find that have many puppies readily available are puppy mills.  Do not buy from a pet store, as all of their puppies come from puppy mills.

As you know, cancer is a problem with golden retrievers.  The better breeders you can find breed more carefully.  I wish you luck.  You might want to consider getting an older dog. 

When my french bulldog died on April 29th, I wanted another one. A month later I got my 3 year old French Bulldog, and it's been wonderful having another companion.

Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling

Honored Contributor

@megashopper   I agree Golden's are wonderful dogs but why would you consider another knowing there's a strong possibility it too will die if cancer?  The disease is inherent in this breed.  Please consider another breed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Sorry for your loss.  I still miss my golden and he's been gone since 1997.  I put my rat terrier down in July and while I miss him right now we're taking a break.

I will be getting another golden someday!

Honored Contributor

@megashopper   I am so sorry your lost your beloved Golden. 

I am a Cavalier King Charles lover.  I found my last puppy on the AKC.org website.  You can search for puppies by breed, gender and location.  You can also see if a litter will be born soon.

Here is a copy of a breeder's info I selcetly randomly.  I  don't know anything about this person.  It's just an example.

6E435319-73ED-41F3-B0E2-D021B083CCE9.jpeg

Super Contributor

@megashopper wrote:

My golden retriever passed away last week at age 11, he was suffering with cancer.  It's so lonely in my home without him.  I'm one of those people that get a new puppy right away to keep me busy so I can stop crying.

I live in South Jersey.  I can't find any puppies in my area and after checking out some websites, I was interested in a couple.  When I checked the BBB about both of them, I found out that they were running scams.

Does anyone know of a reputable golden retriever breeder?  In PA or NJ or DE would be ideal, but if they're further away, I would consider if somebody could make a referral.  Please help me find a golden.  With Covid, it is so hard to find an available puppy!

@megashopper  I'm so sorry for the loss of your golden. I'm the same as you ... I like to get a new baby to love on as soon as I can to help get me through the loss. For your search, you might try reaching out to Garden State Golden Retriever Club or Lenape Golden Retriever Club. They should know who is trustworthy in your area. If your interested in a rescue, check out the National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America. I'm sure they'll have contacts for your area.

Good luck with your search!

Respected Contributor

Re: Golden Retriever Puppy

[ Edited ]

@megashopper 

So sorry to hear about your pup.  It's always so sad to hear not only for you, but also for me.  Prayers for you now and during your search for a new puppy.

If you want a reputable breeder in your area, go to the Golden Retriever Club of America.

I did a search for you.  Below is a link for where you can find local clubs in the areas you mentioned.  Be sure to ask the breeders if their dogs have been tested for inherited disorders before you decide to use any of them.  Be aware, those that don't will be hesitant to talk to you, but move on till you find one that does.  

Ask them if they know of any club members who test their dogs and have pups now. 

I believe Goldens have hind end and or knee problems.  Be sure to ask about that in the parents. Were they tested?  Was there any cancer in the parents ancestry?  The breeder might not know that, though.  But, cancer is prevalent in Golden's.  When I took my dog to an oncologist for cancer treatments, most of the dogs coming in were Goldens.  Next were Labs. 

You might know of other disorders specific to Golden Retrievers.  Ask about them.  Are there tests available to detect them?

Make sure you are armed with as much information about the breed as possible.  Of course, having had one, you know a lot already.   

Some will not have puppies available right now.  Ask when they think they will have some.  Remember, these clubs are breeding for show, others that don't qualify will be sold as companion dogs.

Those sold as companion dogs are usually equally as beautiful as show dogs.  They might have a minor appearance flaw that doesn't fit into AKC's description of the breed.  You wouldn't even notice, but it's a disqualification in the show ring.  Breeders also charge much less for companion dogs.

Also, insist on seeing both parents...if not possible, the mother.  Look at their temperament and personality.  

https://grca.org/find-a-golden/where-to-find-a-golden/

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

You could always check with your vet...

Sorry about your baby...  :-(

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please consider rescuing a dog from a shelter.