Trusted Contributor

Our vet highly recommends cosequin DS for our 9 year old lab, we really have seen a big improvement with mobility and getting up and down off the ground.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all the great information.  I've wrote down all the brands/names and will check them out.

The laser sounds interesting too.  I think I'll call and see about that, but I have a feeling ours isn't that high-tech yet.

Thanks a bunch! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Glucosamine for dogs?

[ Edited ]

@mima

Another thing that is a good supplement is DGP (Dog Gone Pain).

It's worked well for several of my arthritic dogs.  It doesn't rebuild cartilage like glucosamine/chondroitin but the dogs are surprisingly more active when they take the DGP.  It's readily available from amazon.

I'm not discounting glucosamine/chondroitin in any way.  In fact, I take it myself and find it helps me.  My knee gets "creaky" if I forget to take it.  The brand that works for me is Cosamin.  For pets the equivalent is Cosequin.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima  When I heard Dr. Lessman explain the reasons to use Glucosamine Sulfate rather than Glucosamine HCl, for humans, I found good Glucosamine & Chrondroitin supplement for DH and I on Vitacost (same thing as Lessman's but less costly),  When we got our dog, I did everything I could to find out about the breed and made it my mission to do everything I could to provide him with what he needs.  His breed is predisposed to hip issues so we've been proactively giving him a Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplement along with his other supplements (canine probiotic, multivitamin, and fish oil).   I was able to find a canine supplement that also contains Glucosamin Sulfate.  

Link:

Vitacost Canine Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Perkup@RinaRina

Wow, these laser treatments sound great.  Are they just called laser treatment, no other name?  I will look into this and as to where they may be available. 

The laser treatment is nothing less than a miracle treatment for our Sheltie. I tried to check with the vet, but they have gone for the day. We are celebrating Halloween tonight in the area because we anticipate storms all day and night tomorrow.

I did look back on my check stubs and found that the name of the laser machine is "Companion".  That's all I could find so far. I'll keep checking.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@mima

Another thing that is a good supplement is DGP (Dog Gone Pain).

It's worked well for several of my arthritic dogs.  It doesn't rebuild cartilage like glucosamine/chondroitin but the dogs are surprisingly more active when they take the DGP.  It's readily available from amazon.

I'm not discounting glucosamine/chondroitin in any way.  In fact, I take it myself and find it helps me.  My knee gets "creaky" if I forget to take it.  The brand that works for me is Cosamin.  For pets the equivalent is Cosequin.

Can you give them both DGP and the glucosamine?  I will check that out also.  Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @mima

I'm not aware of any conflicts if you give both.  I have given both for certain periods of time and there were no issues.

You can check out more about DGP on its website: 

http://dgpforpets.com/

I like the DGP since there are no side effects and it works quickly.  

If your dog doesn't want a whole tablet, you can mix it with food, or you can crush it.  One of my dogs would eat the tablet alone, for another I'd have to put it in with canned food, and for another I'd have to crush the tablet and then mix it with food.

Best wishes for improvements for your dog.  I know we hate to see them in any sort of pain.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Thank you Homegirl!  I'll try it.

Respected Contributor

our vet recommended glucosamine for our dog and told us to get it at costco which we did.  unfortunately the pills are too big, even when cut in half so i gave the bottle to a friend whose dog was having hip problems.  she's told me that all symptoms have vanished and she is thrilled.

Contributor

We also use Andrew Lessmans glucosamine supplements and give them to our 75-lb German Shephard.  She gets 2 capsules a day mixed in her food.  I had tried several other "dog" brands of glucosamine, but they always made her stomach upset and she would get sick.  I tried AL's supplements and she has never had any problem.  She's only 4 yrs old -- I started her on it around age 3, more preventative measure.