Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting dog to eat pumpkin and sweet potatoes

No reason he has to eat it. Just a couple of pounds overweight and I see lots of post about digs eating this. So I guess I just thought he NEEDED it. Will try all your suggestions. Thanks fir your help. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know about dogs, but I mix a bit with canned cat food for 2 of my cats. Third one won't eat it. I started giving it to my male because he had such bad diarrea. My mom heard about it on the news. Anyhow, after a couple weeks, it cleared up. I've been feeding them pumpkin for about 7 or 8 years now.

Honored Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

Why does your dog have to eat either one?   My dog happens to love both, but unless your vet recommended them for some reason,  I wouldn't worry about.  Some of the dog foods/treats out there now have sweet potatoes made into them.

@D Kay   It keeps a male's an-l glands clean.  If one has a dog groomed once a month, that is done at the groomer's, but I bathe mine, so I don't have to deal with them as long as he eats the yams/sweet potatoes, and he has been since a year old.

Honored Contributor

@gillsburg  Mix it with a jar of meat baby food.

Esteemed Contributor

Not one of my guys would go near it.

Respected Contributor

I buy organic pumpkin puree...it helps my older Maltese poop. Just maybe 1/4 teaspoon. When I cook for them, I'll add 1/2 can to about 1 lb ground meat with rice or Pasta...only doing that for Teaspoon. But lately she doesn't want it, so i had to add the pumpkin to her dog food...she seemed a little constipated, so pumpkin is helping.
Regular Contributor

@gillsburg wrote:

No reason he has to eat it. Just a couple of pounds overweight and I see lots of post about digs eating this. So I guess I just thought he NEEDED it. Will try all your suggestions. Thanks fir your help. 

If he's a couple of pounds overweight you can replace up to 1/2 of his food with green beans.  I don't think pumpkin helps them lose weight it just helps them with their poop. 

Honored Contributor

@gillsburg     I just put  the cannd pumpkin  on a spoon and my black lab just eats up the canned pumpkin.  I suppose just like people, dogs also have taste buds and do not like some foods.  Unless you can disguise it in some other yummy food... you may not be able to get him to eat it.  They do sell dog chewable that contain pumpkin so you may look into those.. they might be able to mask the flavor better of the pumpkin in the blend.   Here is on sold at petco that has turkey  added and other things to make it taste better.

Whole Life Pet Living Treats USA Freeze Dried Pumpkin Treats for Dogs

Whole Life Pet Living Treats USA Freeze Dried Pumpkin Treats for Dogs

Super Contributor