Frequent Contributor

Getting dog to eat pumpkin and sweet potatoes

Is there any way for me to get my dog to eat sweet potatoes and or pumpkin. He will put it  in his  mouth and then spit out. Pumpkin our of can sweet potatoes just baked    It is necessary for him to have this. He just does dry dog food.  Thanks for your help 

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting dog to eat pumpkin and sweet potatoes

[ Edited ]

@gillsburg wrote:

Is there any way for me to get my dog to eat sweet potatoes and or pumpkin. He will put it  in his  mouth and then spit out. Pumpkin our of can sweet potatoes just baked    It is necessary for him to have this. He just does dry dog food.  Thanks for your help 

@gillsburg   My dogs love it. I buy bags at Costco.  I give my male some every night to keep his a--l glands clean.  If you feed wet food, mix it in, but then you knew that, even if dry food, have you tried mixing it in with that, just a tiny bit at first, probably you have.  Coat a favorite treat with a tiny bit, and increase the amount gradually, then maybe your dog will finally eat it from his dish.

Use the root yam, not the canned.  I bake one in the microwave for five minutes each side, if large, adjust for small.

Trusted Contributor

@gillsburg  My neighbors used to mix a little pumpkin purée in their dog's canned dog food. My dog won't eat either. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Try mixing it with meat broth.  Start with a lot of broth and only a little pumpkin, then slowly change the ratios until your dog is getting enough pumpkin to fix whatever issue needs fixing.  Beef, chicken, whatever broth you like, or go with bone broth, there's even more nutrients in that, the taste ought to make him want to drink it, even with a spoonful of pumpkin mixed in.

Honored Contributor

I keep a bag of peanut flour. Sprinkle a little bit on anything and most any animal will eat it. You can add water to it and make a paste, too.  Peanuts are a food which most animals can't resist. The peanut flour I buy is 100% peanuts which has been de-fatted so it's not high-fat-calorie. I buy the Protein Plus brand of peanut flour. My pup goes wild for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Make sure you are NOT using the canned pumpkin pie filling .It has too many spices in it

Use only canned,  PURE PUMPKIN PUREE .

Maybe he would like fresh baked  sweet potatoes better than canned. 

I don't know if they can eat both raw................

Contributor

Try a treat by combining oats, pumpkin and peanut butter. Make sure p butter is natural with no sugar or sweetener added. Sorry i dont remember the exact receipe I just add together to consistency where it will hold together in a ball.  Since you are not sure your dog will eat you can do a small amount to test. Store in fridge. 

Variations are adding finely diced carrots. Applesauce instead of pumpkin. Mashed bananas are good also but just enough to flavor as too much banana can cause constipation. 

There is a small specialty pet store nearby and they had this pumpkin sauce/gravy to put over dry food. My dogs would not eat  but my parents dog liked it. 

Good luck.

Valued Contributor

Why does your dog have to eat either one?   My dog happens to love both, but unless your vet recommended them for some reason,  I wouldn't worry about.  Some of the dog foods/treats out there now have sweet potatoes made into them.

Honored Contributor

One of my dogs was eating her own poo so I asked my vet what to do. The vet said he could prescribe a med for her or I could just give her a dollop of pumpkin puree. The pumpkin worked...I was relieved! That's how I got started with giving pumpkin to my dog but I also give it sometimes b/c it has fiber and a lot of other vitamins and minerals.

Honored Contributor

All of my dogs have loved sweet potatoes, except one I have now.  She won't touch them and I have tried giving her many different types.

She will eat pumpkin only when in treat form, but not dehydrated. I buy Fruitables in the pumpkin series.  Those treats are always a big hit.

The same dog will not eat green beans either...some dogs are fussy.