Respected Contributor

My hairdresser and friend just purchased a purebred Shih Tzu puppy from a breeder.  He is just the cutest thing.  She is upset because she has been getting criticism from many of her friends for not rescuing a puppy.  Her 15 year old Shih Tzu had to be euthanized a few months ago due to cancer and heart disease.  

She is a Shih Tzu fan and did not want any other breed.  She knew exactly what she wanted and searched out an excellent breeder. This puppy is not show quality but he is a very nice pet quality pup.  

I feel so badly for her because she just loves this new little guy and is so excited to show him to her friends.  They are making her feel like she did a terrible thing by purchasing this pup.  

I understand the compassion of rescuing an unwanted dog but there are also those who want to get a pup from a breeder.  I certainly know that it doesn't guarantee a healthy and well adjusted dog but your odds are greater when you know the pedigree and see both parents.  

Many years ago I wanted a Yorkshire Terrier and I purchased a pup from a breeder.  I never felt that I did something wrong  and that wonderful dog lived to be 17 years of age.  A few years after purchasing her I once again purchased another Yorkie from a breeder and I was blessed to have her for 21 years.  

Rescue dogs can be wonderful additions to your family but they can also come with a myriad of problems both health wise and temperament wise.  

I don't think that people should be shamed or made to feel like they aren't good people when they choose to purchase a purebred dog from a breeder.  Obviously I am talking about a good breeder, not a backyard breeder.  I have no tolerance for those people.

For those of you who rescue, you have my admiration and respect. I think it's wonderful to open your heart and home to an unwanted animal but I also don't think that choosing the exact animal that you want makes you an terrible person.

I also think this same rule applies to purebred cats.  I'm not a big cat lover but if I was to ever get a cat I would want to purchase a British Shorthair.  I think they are beautiful and gentle cats.  

Question  to the forum -  Have you purchased a dog or cat or any other animal from a breeder?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting a purebred puppy!

<p><font size="5">Wether it is a pure bred or a rescue she is still giving a home to animal and generously taking care of it. &nbsp;I personally am a fan of Shih Tzu's, having one myself. &nbsp;Any person who share a life with any animal is a kind, loving soul! &nbsp;Lots of luck with your precious baby!</font></p>
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether or not it is a rescue puppy or a purebred your friend is still generously giving that puppy a loving home.  Any animal that is placed in a home is fortunate.  If having a purebred Shih Tzu makes your friend happy than that is all that matters.  I personally have a Shih Tzu, and I am so happy for her.  I wish her the best with her new puppy.  One animal placed in a loving home is always a beautiful thing!  Xoxo's for the Shih Tzu!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl - I know the current mantra is "Adopt, don't shop", but that leaves out an entire world of wonderful breeds of both dogs and cats.  They all deserve just as much love and no one should be shamed for wanting a particular breed.

In the past I've had an Airedale, Jack Russell, miniature dachshunds, Golden Retriever and quite a few "Heinz 57" dogs.  I loved them all equally.

Currently, I only have cats.  One purebred Tonkinese and two rescues - a delightful Tortie and the most beautiful brown Tabby.  I've had so many cats during my lifetime that I couldn't list them all, but I've had Siamese and Burmese.  I just love all cats.

No one will make me feel ashamed or guilty for choosing the furry members of my family.  I know people mean well and want to help the shelters, but it's a personal choice.  I sponsor another cat at my local shelter and regularly donate.

I hope your friend enjoys her new furbaby and that it brings her many years of joy.

Honored Contributor

Siamese cats are the ones I want.  They annoy the heck out of me and I love them to pieces!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl,

You should not feel anything but happiness and love for your sweet dog.

My son got 3 purebred American bulldogs. One had a grandfather who was a champion puller.

At first, to tell you the truth, not knowing anything about them aside from you shouldn't have one, I was kind of worried.

But my whole family and neighbors and friends all said they were the sweetest dogs ever.

I can't imagine not having had them in my life. We all say we were lucky to have had the best dogs in the world!

I sitll have a love of them and want to hug any that I see (but don't if I don't know them of course).

I will always long for them.

But if I could get a dog now, I would get one from the shelter. I just wish I could.

But you probably would have longed for your Shih Tzu, and there is nothing wrong with that! I hope you both have many many happy years together! 

I say dog lovers unite! A dog is a dog is a dog!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl If anyone buys a cat or a dog from a **reputable and good breeder** they should not be shamed. You or they are giving a home to an animal who needs one.

The cats we always had were rescues but that was our choice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have purchased three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels from breeders.  They are extremely expensive dogs, costing thousands.  In addition, I had to pay for their transportation across the country.

I also have a  " throw away" Cavalier that was neglected that was given to me...no charge.

I have had people jump on me for not adopting a dog from a rescue.  I just tell them to go pound sand.  It's none of their business.  I have had rescue dogs before.  Every one of them was trouble in some way.  I am sure some people have had no problems with rescue dogs, but I wasn't so lucky.

Even my " throw away" Cavalier is a big problem.  She doesn't get along with other dogs and fights.  I have had her for almost a year now...most of it has been hell, but I am trying.  I feel sorry for her and will make it work.  it hasn't been easy.

I would advise your friend just to tell people to mind their own business.  There is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a good breeder. Just make sure it's not a puppy mill or pet shop dog.

We all need to do what is right for us, not what others think is right for us.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl  Yes, my avatar dog, Jett, was purchased from an excellent, ethical breeder as a 4 MO old pup.  I've had many purebred dogs, mostly from breed rescue groups, so many I can't remember them all. 

I current have two rescues of undetermined heritage, one is undoubtedly mostly if not all, mini Aussie.  The other is heaven's knows what.  I adore them both.

It infuriates me when a person is criticized for buying a purebred dog.  It's a perfectly legitimate choice.  The purebred dogs are what what ultimately make cute mutts.  If we didn't have a variety of breeds, everything in our shelters would be pit bulls.  The purebreds impart many desirable characteristics to the dog population.

There's nothing wrong with appreciating the beauty of any purebred animal, dog, cat, horse or billy goat.  Years of careful breeding have developed these animals.  No one should feel badly about owning one.

Tell your friends to tell the naysayers to educate themselves and enjoy her pup. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have always adopted adult rescue dogs (at least 5 years old).  Some of them have been better than others but they all have been wonderful family pets.