Honored Contributor

Re: Getting a purebred puppy!

@J Town Girl 

I agree!  I've bought both from a breeder and rescued.  My favorite breed is the Pekingese and all of mine (they have all crossed the rainbow bridge) were the most loving little dogs on the planet, whether purchased from a breeder or rescued from Pekingese rescue!  I now have a Tibetan Spaniel and love him as much as my Pekingese.  The Tibetan Spaniel was my second choice because I couldn't find a Pekingese breeder in Hawaii.  My Pekingese were more loving 24 hours a day, and although my Tibetan Spaniel is loving, too, it's only when he is in the mood.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, Way to take the Joy out if her new puppy for her.  She went for a dog she really wanted and will care for it's whole life.  Good for her. May they have Many Many years of companionship.  She should name the pup.... SoTsu Mi.

As in , Yeah, I got my Purebred puppy... So Sue Me.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl   I'd tell them to mind their own bleeping business....we've done both, adopted and purchase.  

The best family dog we had was bought from a breeder (not a pure bred) ...well mannered, etc., etc.  We loved our shelter dog as well but the breeder dog has a better personality.

Valued Contributor

I will also put in a good word for pet shop puppies who also need a good home.  Yes, there are good ones and bad ones just like good breeders and not so good breeders.  Puppy mills are the problem and I cannot understand why they can continue operating a business.  It seems like they should be easy to close down...everything else is regulated.

Esteemed Contributor

Many times I have been asked if my purebred Golden was a rescue.

I honestly tell them no.

We searched thru local rescue places for a while with no luck. We wanted

another golden and I thought it was going to work out several years ago

when I was at our S.P.C.A. and a woman brought in a 5 year old Golden.

I asked about it and I was told to call back the next day as they can't

do anything for the first 24 hours. I did call the next day and was told

they they sent to dog to Delaware to a Golden rescue there. Well

that made me very sad because I had high hopes for those 24 hours

that I would adopt that dog for a small fee.

Now at that rescue they sent the 5 year old dog too, now the price had

gone up to several hundred dollars as they price the dog according to

their age. My husband told me he would just find me a puppy and I

said no we will wait.

He investigated local breeders and we found my now 3 year old a little

over an hour away. This woman does all the necessary tests, hips,

eyes, etc. and we would purchase another from her again.

My parents had rescued a Husky many years ago from the same

S.P.C.A. and did not know much about the dog and unfortunately

the dog was playing in their yard one day and fell over and died.

The dog was only around 2 years old. My parents and I were just

devastated.

The breed we wanted is not available locally and it is unfortunate

that they ship the Goldens away. 

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife 

You nailed it with your description of the Tibetan Spaniel!!  I've had two, my first one passed away two and a half years ago. He was the loving one 99% of the time. My current one, 15 and a half, is loving if and when he feels like it. Lapdog is not a description that I would use for him- Good breed, wonderful companions. And usually too smart and stubborn for their own good! Love them to pieces- 

Esteemed Contributor

Think it comes down to your definition of a good breeder.  There are some wonderful people who are out there and then the rest.  Backyard breeders and puppy mill operations have become very crafty at portraying themselves as "reptuable".  They are only in it for the money.....providing a product for the lowest cost and highest profit.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I want to thank each and everyone of you who took the time to comment on my post.  I will share many of the stories with my friend.  I know your kind responses will make her feel better.

She spent the last six months trying everything to save her little Max.  He was failing more and more as each month went by. Towards the end he could barely make it around the house but yet he still wanted to live and his little tail would constantly be wagging if you spoke to him.  

She grieved terribly when she had to euthanize him and this new little pup just brightened her life.  He's a little character.  Her husband wanted to wait for a while before getting a new dog but after seeing her so upset he told her go ahead and start searching for breeders.  

We all have our favorite breeds, mine have always been Yorkies, but I admit this little pup has won my heart too.  

Valued Contributor

Friends should feel free to share their true feelings, even if they don't agree with you.  There is definitely a stigma with purchasing a dog when there are breed specific rescues and so much publicity about puppymills and back yard breeders (which can be hard to distinguish from reputable ones).  People are free to make their choice for their own pets of course, but that will often come with judgement from people who are passsionate about animals or work so hard in animal rescue.  

Super Contributor

I'd love to get a bonded pair someday.