Respected Contributor

Re: Getting a purebred puppy!

I simply can't imagine someone criticizing her for this. They can have that opinion if they so choose. But to voice it to her and diminish her joy is, well, mean spirited.They are not her friends. Woman Frustrated 

Honored Contributor

We had one dog and it was from a breeder because my daughter tested a slight allergy to dogs so we wanted one that did not shed.  We had a Lhasa  Apso for 17 years.  It's her dog, her choice, her money.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had rescues, private adoption, and now a purebred Golden. We  loved all of them (although one poor pup was none to bright and never did become house trained and had medical stuff from the beginning).

The rescue option can work very well or not so well. I think that it's a bit more of a challenge for several reasons, but we would never rule it out in the future. I think that an ideal middle-ground would be a private adoption from a family who can no longer keep their pet for reasons that don't involve problems with the dog.

As much as we love dogs, we're not really up to having a new member of the family who not be able to adjust or that has strong behavior problems, although I admire those can do so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

J Town Girl...it sounds !ike you are her true friend and not the so called friends that criticize her.  Giving an animal a loving home is the important thing and it seems to me she has a win win situation.  

Honored Contributor

There is an exceptional breeder of collies in our area. She has classes for training the dogs. And has classes for the kids on taking care of the dogs. She wants to make sure that everyone of her dogs is well cared for and takes alot of interest in the dogs after they go to the new owners.

I think it is great that people rescue dogs without homes. But it is also important to know a dog's temperment. And certain breeds have vastly different temperaments and needs. 

Both opinions have merit.

Honored Contributor

I've checked animal shelters and from what I see it is very difficult to adopt a small breed dog like a Shih Tzu.  

Honored Contributor

Not me personally.  That being said....

I grew up w/pure bred collies

All of my children's dogs were purchased from breeders.

My oldest purchased her 2nd lab from a breeder.

My oldest grand purchased a portugese water dog from a breeder.

Me - My dog was rescued & my cat from a shelter.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

People are just too darn critical. If the lady doesn't wants to adopt a purebred it's her prerogative. People are so quick to judge others. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl I am highly allergic to cats but Siberian Cats are hypoallergenic. So on the recommendation of one my son's friends we got a kitten from a reputable and wonderful breeder. The cat has been the most amazing add to our family and has given such joy to both of my sons. I would love to adopt but I needed a hypoallergenic breed. No one should be shamed when giving animals a loving home. Enjoy your new furbaby. 

Esteemed Contributor

I rescued a purbread dog.

There are many rescue groups dedicated to purebread breeds.