Respected Contributor

I'm 66 hub is 71 and we just adopted an (approximately) one year old Jack Russell mix from New Orleans. Her "parents" moved and left her, a baby, alone on the front yard. The dog catcher couldn't bring himselrf to give her to the shelter so he gave her to his sister who was part of a rescue and she ended up fostering her.  We were open to what dog and what age but her story just touched at our heart strings. We have both been walking her and it's been great for our health. We already love her, she is sweet, kind and loving. Earlier, she did zoomies around our small house, happy and excited. Our last dog passed from cancer and we were both devastated  but she has given us renewed joy and purpose in life. If God forbid anything happens to both of us she will go back to the rescue which is what we agreed to when we adopted her.

Wishing you the utmost of happiness and best of luck with your pup! . 

Honored Contributor

So many heartwarming and loving posts here brings tears to my eyes.Heart

Thank you to all contributors.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   I am so excited for you...please post pictures.  Once that pup is in your heart, you will never question this decision.  Congratulations...love knows no age boundariesHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest One thought:  Do you have someone to take care of it in case you are ill, need to be out of town, go in the hospital, etc.?

No ,not really, i also have a 10 yr.old golden.

Wishing you many years of happiness with your pups.  However you should seriously consider "what if", every pet owner of any age should.  Estate attorneys have become very versed in these situations.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Will the breeder take the dog back if you change your mind?

Respected Contributor

I read all the posts on this subject.  Two months ago my 15 year old dog passed away.  At the time I thought I would never consider getting another dog due to my age.  That feeling is slowly changing as I really miss the companionship of a dog.  I am about the same age as the OP.  I have a cat but they are very different than dogs. Since the holidays will be here before we know it, I have decided to wait until the new year to make a decision.  And I'm also still grieving the loss of my sweet Brandy.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting a pup, at 70

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Will be 70 in december, not as quick as i once was,   picking him up this coming sunday, getting nervous,  excited also, any one got a pup at my age?

OHHHH,Congratulations @goldensrbest 

How wonderful for you and your new pup <3  

I wish I could get one.I sooooo miss having a dog.

I'm 83 and have CHF ,so I feel it would be unfair and heartbreaking to both me and the dog,,if I suddenly  had to give up my dog for some health reason ,like hospitalization or death, since noone has offered (i have asked)  to take it for me should anything like that happen.I have NEVER been without a dog in my entire life.   Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

I'm so happy that you are getting a puppy!   As long as you know what is in store for you, (which you do), feel physically up to it and have someone who is willing to step in to care for the pup should the need arise, you will enjoy having another dog around to love and love you.

I love @Blue Finch's post.  Dogs definitely give us a reason to keep moving and add so much joy to our lives.  I believe they give many a reason to live.

I'm so glad this puppy is coming into your life!

Valued Contributor

I would just like to add that puppies grow up so fast.   Even though she was a bit of a handful when we got our girl 3 1/2 years ago, honestly, in less than a year she grew into the well-behaved (usually) little lady she is today.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Will the breeder take the dog back if you change your mind?

Yes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.