Esteemed Contributor

@MyBoyRusty wrote:

When I adopted Rusty last June his shelter name was Tuna and I changed it to Rusty right off I don't if the people that owned him before me named him that or the shelter but I certainly going to leave his name Tuna. He's such a sweetheart his former owners were moving and couldn't take him with them.

______

@MyBoyRusty

I'm so happy for you, finding this little sweetheart. Yes indeed, I received this Same Song and Dance excuse, also- ' moving and can't take pet'. 

This has to be the *BEST* of all new excuses- YET, and apparently IT really works for a greater majority!

VERY grateful that it was Y O U  that adopted Rusty. 

I appreciated your story very much. Thank you for sharing~

Been here on the boards almost 5 years and found just about every EXCUSE created per person one on one, for everything! ! ! !

Respected Contributor

Congrats on the new addition to the family!  Tuxedo kitties are so cute.  I wouldn't change his name because I think Zeb is cute.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Congratulations. I tend to let the cat live with me for awhile so I can see it's personality before choosing a name. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I had to put down my sweet Buster in early February. Next weekend I will be getting a new cat that is about 1 year old.  He is a tuxedo cat rescue. The lady I am getting him from has been nursing him through a respiratory illness. She is calling him Zeb as in Zebra. I may stay with that. Do you have any suggestions for a name?

@chessylady

I have shared this before, but the sentiment is spot on with  rescues ....  and how we literally save their lives.   Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Just wanted to stop by and offer my condolences on losing Buster.  It's so hard losing a fur friend but I'm glad you have it in your heart to bring someone new into your home, especially a rescue.  After my first one passed I never thought I would be able to get another.  It took three years but I did.  Now almost five years later, I have three rescues.  Wishing you all the best with your new friend, many happy healthy years together.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you had to lose your precious Buster.  But congratulations on your new little bundle.

We have a tuxedo cat whose name has nothing to do with what he looks like.  He's named after another cat, a tuxedo also, that we had years ago and whose personality he resembles. Like most people we started calling him many different things--cute little nicknames--after we got to know him.  

Why don't you wait until you have your Little Man (one of our cat's nicknames) around a bit to see what his personality is like?  You might know the perfect name for him once he comes into your life.Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@Venezia   i love your story and your devotion to your furry one.  i feel the same way about my Punkin and Izzy.  they are both Siamese mixes -  gorgeous and loving.  warning to all:  don't come between me and my babies!  attack Cat Mama on board!

@Venezia wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

why Tux, of course!  good for you for rescuing the rescue cat.  all my cats are rescues and i wonder how people could have been so harsh/cruel to abandon or mistreat these little sweeties.  they bring so much love and joy.

@ms traditional - I think the same thing.  One of our rescues is a sealpoint Siamese.  I support a local shelter and she'd been with them for a year and I'd never seen her when I visited.  They put her on display at a Petco store, but the manager of the shelter wasn't keen on the idea because - in her words - this kitty was "so timid, no one will adopt her".

Well...the day they put her on display, I happened to walk by the store on my lunch break.  The clerk in the store saw me and waved me over.  The rest is history.  I went back to work, made the call and picked her up a few days later.  She wasn't just timid, she was almost feral.

She has had major dental problems (about $2000 worth) but, she's "our cat" and a member of the family and I'm glad I found her because we will always do what we have to to take care of her.

I wish you could see her - she's not the same cat we adopted.  She's pure joy; loving and affectionate and happy now.  It took quite a while.  I still laugh that the manager of the shelter warned me that I wouldn't be getting "a lap cat", if I adopted her.  Ha!  I have pictures to prove her wrong; sit down and Bella is in your lap!  She just needed to feel safe.

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 - Thank you for the kind words and the same back at you!  I have loved cats from the time I was a little child - by the time I was a teen everyone called me "the cat lady". 

I will never understand how someone can have a cat (or any animal) as part of their family for any length of time, then surrender it, when it becomes inconvenient.  I brought my two elderly cats with me, when I moved back here from England 16 years ago.  If I can get them documented, crated, on a plane for a seven-plus hour trip, transported from the airport to a temporary apartment and finally to my new home.......then I see few excuses for anyone else.

They both lived to 19 years old.  Once I lost them, I "acquired" four more cats - one at a time, of course!  I also sponsor an elderly cat at the shelter, who is considered "unadoptable" and is happiest where she is.

The only thing I will say is that it's better at least for someone to do the responsible thing and take an animal to a shelter, rather than just abandoning it.

Thank you, too, for the care you give to your own furbaby.  Heart

Honored Contributor

ms traditional wrote:

@Venezia   i love your story and your devotion to your furry one.  i feel the same way about my Punkin and Izzy.  they are both Siamese mixes -  gorgeous and loving.  warning to all:  don't come between me and my babies!  attack Cat Mama on board!

@ms traditional - LOL.  Yep, I know that feeling!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@chessylady - Be sure to come back and tell us how you get on with your new furbaby and what you decide on for a name.  Smiley Happy