Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I had to put down my sweet Buster in early February. Next weekend I will be getting a new cat that is about 1 year old.  He is a tuxedo cat rescue. The lady I am getting him from has been nursing him through a respiratory illness. She is calling him Zeb as in Zebra. I may stay with that. Do you have any suggestions for a name?

ALSO...    Woman Happy

Zeb

Origin of Zeb:  diminutive of Zebediah or Zebulon

Zebediah

Meaning of Zebediah: "gift of Jehovah"

Origin of Zebediah: Hebrew

Zebulon

Meaning of Zebulon: "exaltation or little dwelling"
Origin of Zebulon: Hebrew

GREAT name; keep it.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much feline groovy for the background of the name Zeb. I like it better especially Zebediah. I have not met him yet, just have cell phone pictures. I will have to make sure the name fits. Thanks to everyone who has commented. I will return after I have him to write how everything worked out. Cats seem to come into your life as if by magic.

Trusted Contributor

@chessylady, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Buster in early February.  However, I am happy that you will be getting a new buddy.  Perhaps, when your kitty comes home you will find a marking(s), a look, a trait or an antic and come up with a special name that fits him.  Have fun, alot of love and a bunch of purrs.

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I had to put down my sweet Buster in early February. Next weekend I will be getting a new cat that is about 1 year old.  He is a tuxedo cat rescue. The lady I am getting him from has been nursing him through a respiratory illness. She is calling him Zeb as in Zebra. I may stay with that. Do you have any suggestions for a name?

ALSO...    Woman Happy

Zeb

Zebediah

Zebulon

@feline groovy wow, you're bringing a new cat into your life? I thought just last week you had no place to live and no money. Did that all get resolved? If not, bringing another animal into a stressful situation is not a good thing for either of you. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

ALSO...    Woman Happy

Zeb

Zebediah

Zebulon

@feline groovy wow, you're bringing a new cat into your life? I thought just last week you had no place to live and no money. Did that all get resolved? If not, bringing another animal into a stressful situation is not a good thing for either of you. 

@60sgirl

@chessylady is getting a cat.  @feline groovy was sharing the "origins" of the name Zeb, besides ZEBRA.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting a new cat

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

ALSO...    Woman Happy

Zeb

Zebediah

Zebulon

@60sgirll

No way; you just didn't "get" my reference above to the OP's cat and his current nickname "Zeb".

Unlike some prospective parents of human or pet kids, I would never get a furkid  if I couldn't do right by them in every way.

Hence, the reason why I looked up his nic for her; kinda fun & all.

Nothing should ever be just instantly assumed about anyone.

Besides, THIS nice thread's about ChessyLady's new kitty adoption. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@NAES1 - Thank you for the kind words and the same back at you!  I have loved cats from the time I was a little child - by the time I was a teen everyone called me "the cat lady". 

I will never understand how someone can have a cat (or any animal) as part of their family for any length of time, then surrender it, when it becomes inconvenient.  I brought my two elderly cats with me, when I moved back here from England 16 years ago.  If I can get them documented, crated, on a plane for a seven-plus hour trip, transported from the airport to a temporary apartment and finally to my new home.......then I see few excuses for anyone else.

They both lived to 19 years old.  Once I lost them, I "acquired" four more cats - one at a time, of course!  I also sponsor an elderly cat at the shelter, who is considered "unadoptable" and is happiest where she is.

The only thing I will say is that it's better at least for someone to do the responsible thing and take an animal to a shelter, rather than just abandoning it.

Thank you, too, for the care you give to your own furbaby.  Heart

@Venezia,

Heart " you have the caring soul of an angel, and I also, have been mysteriously wondering for years, reading, hearing of this most recently selfishness of people `  in general `  abandoning their long lived pets on the roadside or taking them ( litters) to an open field.

Anger would be a more kinder emotional word for the very UNintelligence that exist in today's world.  Unfortunately, how I actually feel would be banned!

I am very concerned, as are others, aware of this cruel selfish act. In my area, it apparently is a word of mouth "thing", now...this is one of the best places to leave

......>( dump off) supposedly due to greater living arrangements! 

Thank you for your kind reply. 

What has happened to society, as a whole when we speak of children and pets?

NAES

Super Contributor

I had to "nephew" tuxedo rescues, one short-haired and one long-haired.  They had been declawed though thankfully they didn't have issues with it that we know of, and neither had "black and white" names.  One passed away during the time all the kidney/cat food problems were going on.  The short-haired one, Squeakers, had always been more independent when it was him and his bro, turned into a total love bug.  He went through some stress during the time my first nephew was born, but he was great with boys.  He passed away early last year and my youngest nephew's still telling people how Squeakers died and God took him to heaven and won't give him back (he was 3 1/2 when he died. 

Now, I love Zeb! I mentioned it before, but I have a small cat colony and one's a young Tuxedo.  I didn't know if it was a boy or girl, so I went with Oreo.  I later was on a site reading about cats and names, and there was a list of them for Tuxedo cats, Oreo being one of the choices! The internet definitely teaches us that we aren't as original as we think most the time, geez! I tried switching to Tux once I saw he was a boy, but I'm too used to calling him my little cookie.  There's another feral (obviously) that's been in the neighbor's yard and the first owner called it Freddy, the new owners call it BatCat. 

Congratulations on your new cat! Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

ALSO...    Woman Happy

Zeb

Zebediah

Zebulon

@60sgirll

No way; you just didn't "get" my reference above to the OP's cat and his current nickname "Zeb".

Unlike some prospective parents of human or pet kids, I would never get a furkid  if I couldn't do right by them in every way.

Hence, the reason why I looked up his nic for her; kinda fun & all.

Nothing should ever be just instantly assumed about anyone.

Besides, THIS nice thread's about ChessyLady's new kitty adoption. Woman Happy

I apologize. I was reading this very early and didn't see all the quotes.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

OK, I'm back. I got my Kitty on Saturday evening. He slept with me the first night. He is a sweet lively one year old. Like most strays, he loves to eat. Although he had just finished 10 days of antibiotics, he still has a raspy sound in his chest. He will see my vet tomorrow even though he was seen on Saturday by the rescuer's vet. Not really anything major to worry about. I have renamed him. My brother came up with Spats which I really like. My chiropractor said it sounded like an old Italian gangster name. So he is Spats the Cat.