Respected Contributor

Gabriel has ear infection, on new food??

I switched Gabriel's food to a weight management formula from Blue Buffalo.   Its chicken and brown rice.

Hes on it for for a few weeks now.  Now hes got an ear infection...its quite tender, and red, some brown junk.  Occasionally he'll get a little brown stuff but he let's me clean him with no problem, no discomfort and never red.    This time, hes definitely tender and red.   I'm thinking to stop this new food...since he never had an ear infection before.    But I'm really not sure its food allergies....and I'm afraid to continue with this food to see if he gets better or not.  I hate to experiment.  He was never on chicken.   I'm considering switching back to his TASTE OF THE WILD...any advice??

Btw...I have Zimox, which is helping...my vet uses it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gabriel has ear infection, on new food??

You may be trying to avoid a vet bill but, in this case, I'd  consult the vet before the ear infection becomes seriously worse.  You could end up with a seriously expensive bill.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You may be trying to avoid a vet bill but, in this case, I'd  consult the vet before the ear infection becomes seriously worse.  You could end up with a seriously expensive 

@Kachina624 ...I never avoid veterinary care...Gabriel has verrrrry long history at the vet.   He will be going to the vet next week.  I was asking about food changes possibly causing reactions...especially chicken.  Maybe some here can relate to a similar experience.   I will be sure to have Gabriel treated, and I'm already considering stopping this food.  

Trusted Contributor

This won't help with the food, but should help with the ears.  

I have several dogs with various chronic ear issues.  I positively swear by something call Zymox and I get it on Amazon.  I spent a fortune at the vet treating ear issues and never seemed to make any progress.  I tried this and it works a million times better than anything else I have ever tried.  You do NOT clean their ears before treating with these drops - it helps to have the drops working directly on whatever may be there.  I just squirt it in the ears and then kind of squish/rub the base of the ear.  You can hear it in there, you want to work it around to be sure it gets as far in/around the base of the ear as possible.  This stuff has even helped some dogs with constant licking of the paws, which can be a way they express inner irritation, rather than itching the ears.  It is really worth a try.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry he has an ear infection, but I don't know if food can cause an ear infection.  I'm glad he's going to the Vet next week.  I know ear infections are painful.  A prescription from the Vet is the only thing that has ever cleared up my dogs' ear infections.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm sorry he has an ear infection, but I don't know if food can cause an ear infection.  I'm glad he's going to the Vet next week.  I know ear infections are painful.  A prescription from the Vet is the only thing that has ever cleared up my dogs' ear infections.

Food won't cause an actual infection, if that's what it is.  It can cause an allergic reaction in the ears, but an infection is caused by bacteria.  

I use Zymox (1% form) regularly, but it will not cure an infection.  That needs veterinary attention.  At which point you could ask your vet about the new food.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti ...appreciate....I already use Zimox...I stated in my post, my Vet gives it to me, and yes, I also order it from Amazon.   It's very good!   I also used to use Positex, a prescription product for ears, on my late Labrador....amazing product.  So far I never needed that for Gabe, but yes on Zimox..my vet suggested until he sees Gabe.   Gabriel is a Labrador,  which are prone to ear infections...so I'm really hoping this is a one time thing.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Respected Contributor

@geezerette ...good point!!   Honestly I dont know yet if it's an actual infection...I just said that because its red and hes tender....but yes I guess allergies could do that too.   Yes, I have Zimox, and started it up yesterday and will continue.   Vet will be the one to diagnose whether allergie or infection.   I'm just kinda wondering because I changed his food🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a lab. years ago ,.she had chronic ear infections, black like discharge,  we tried changing foods ,did not help, the vet said the entrance to her inner ear  was very small, we never did find a cure.Is this his first ear infection?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

We had a lab. years ago ,.she had chronic ear infections, black like discharge,  we tried changing foods ,did not help, the vet said the entrance to her inner ear  was very small, we never did find a cure.Is this his first ear infection?

@goldensrbest ...yes first time.  Hes 19 months old.  I switched his food gradually starting several weeks ago.

The vet wants to keep his weight down because he had a broken hip  (rescued him with it at 9 weeks),..all healed now.  So I found this food from Blue Buffalo,  Healthy Weight.   My daughter buys it for her dog too...thought I'd try it.  My husband wants me to switch him back.

I got my other Lab under control with diet, and when he did start to show a problem, I used Positx immediately, and it worked like a charm.  That's prescription only.  Hopefully Gabe wont need it.