Respected Contributor

Re: Gabriel has ear infection, on new food??

GET THAT DOG TO A VET.

STAT!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had 2 dogs that were prone to ear infections. It sounds like your dog is having a reaction to the new food.

Yeast can definitely cause ear issues- it absolutely was for my 2 Goldens. 

I would get your dog off that food immediately. Years ago I fed my cats the BB brand, & it made them all so sick- I'd never even consider that brand ever again. A 19 month old dog shouldn't need weight management food- even in your case. 

For a few days (at least), I'd feed your doggie fresh, homemade meals. There are many natural, homeopathic remedies for ear infections to help heal. Then I'd look for an organic (or the purest you can find), LIMITED INGREDIENT food. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have Germna Shepherds who are prone to ear infections. My female has them often. It sounds like your dog has a deep infection and you need to see a vet. They are the only one who can get deep into that ear canal and clear out that infection. You might need drops and a prescription but that will clear it up....eventually. 

It may or may not be related to the chow.  Ask the vet. Usually with my dogs their reaction to a food switch is either a tummy or bum issue. All breeds are different.

Ear infections can get super serious and cause loss of hearing from infection and/or too much medication for a chronic condition. I have had both. See a vet so you know what exactly you are dealing with for your pet. Good luck.   

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I've had 2 dogs that were prone to ear infections. It sounds like your dog is having a reaction to the new food.

Yeast can definitely cause ear issues- it absolutely was for my 2 Goldens. 

I would get your dog off that food immediately. Years ago I fed my cats the BB brand, & it made them all so sick- I'd never even consider that brand ever again. A 19 month old dog shouldn't need weight management food- even in your case. 

For a few days (at least), I'd feed your doogie fresh, homemade meals. There are many natural, homeopathic remedies for ear infections to help heal. Then I'd look for an organic (or the purest you can find), LIMITED INGREDIENT food. 

Good post, @spot555 .  I agree it could be the food switch.  I also agree that Blue Buffalo is a poor choice of dog food IMO.  The stuff coming from the ears is the body's way of ridding toxins.  The OP should take your advice for the food switch.  

@Dazlin  I hope you can get this ear thing figured out.  It is hard when our loved ones are suffereing.  I had a holistic vet recommend Zymox, but you have to follow the instructions.......not use one day and not the next.  Also, she did not recommend the one with the steroid in it.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

I have one dog that gets yeast infections in her ear.It makes their ears itch. It also looks brown when I clean her ear. The vet gave me zymox to put in her ear after I clean it. It takes awhile to go away. The medicine is only for yeast infection. If it's ear mites or something else you will need a different medicine.

New Contributor

Hi there!  Heres a story for you to consider..Years ago,  my regular beef formula  food was recalled so I switched to a Merrick brand food.  Several weeks later BOTH dogs got ear infections.  What a coincidence! These 2 dogs,  now 12 and 14,  are mine but  are not the same breed.  (One is a cockerpoo and she does get ear issues but the other one Never does. )  I did not know back then how these food/allergy/infections  issues are all related..  (The cockerpoo is allergic to chicken since she was young, so she never has chicken) At the time the vet said it was yeast and treated them  both for quite awhile before these ears  cleared up. I was beside myself.  He never aksed about their diet or any changes. I now know (and have a different vet) that Food makes a big difference!!  The cocker still gets some ear issues once in awhile but usually  this time of year (fall)  so it is allergy triggered. The ear  infection responds nicely  to EnteDerm treatment. (Nystatin-neomycin).  I used to use the Zymox but think it adds more moisture to an already bad situation in the ear.  The second dog has never had an ear infection since that one time.  There is no doubt in my mind that the food was the cause. I feed them real food these days..Best wishes to you. 

Honored Contributor

Food can cause an alergy fungus and leads to infection.  I would not wait though and take him in.  Ear infections are painful and can lead to many other things 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   What did the Vet say when you brought Gabriel in?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau