Honored Contributor

WCVB.com

Furry hitchhiker: Woodchuck rides to shore on dog's back in Massachusetts lake

LUNENBURG, Mass. 

Remarkable photos snapped last month at a Massachusetts lake show a dog becoming an unlikely water taxi for another critter.

Lauren Russell's golden retriever, Wally, was swimming at Hickory Hills Lake in Lunenburg on Sunday, May 16, when he came across a woodchuck in the water.

That woodchuck hitched a ride to shore on Wally's back.

"He was about 100 meters out and a woodchuck I think just crawled right up on his back and he swam back to shore with him," said Russell. "We were flabbergasted. It was unbelievable. We couldn't believe what we were seeing."

beaver rides to shore on dog's back

The 2-year old pup took it in stride — or in this case, all in doggie paddle.

"He didn't even care," said Russell. "He like took a peek back on his back and then just kept swimming."

There was one other incredible interaction between these two new, but brief, friends. It happened when the two got closer to shore.

"It came back to the island, hopped off his back, and then scurried away and they gave each other a little kiss goodbye. They like touched snouts and then he ran away," said Russell.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Some video

https://www.wcvb.com/article/furry-hitchhiker-woodchuck-rides-to-shore-on-dogs-back-lunenburg-massac...

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

WOW! Incredible story. Thanks for sharing. @Greeneyedlady21 

A golden retriever would do something like that for sure.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful happy story! 

I loved it!

Thank you @Greeneyedlady21 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I love this shot. It looks like the dog is thinking:  "Whaaat the heck is that on my back??" LOL!

Woodchuck hitches ride to shore on dog's back

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

Thank  you  for sharing.

A retriever’s gota’ retrieve!

Goldens and Labs are SO kind hearted. 💙

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras