Honored Contributor

When the owners found their cat Fluffy she was unresponsive with frozen snowballs all over her. Poor kitty. I saw this story on weather.com this morning.

An ‘essentially frozen and unresponsive’ cat was found buried under a mountain of snow on Thursday, Jan. 31. Fluffy, the cat, has since made a miraculous recovery.

Fluffy, who lives in northwestern Montana in Kalispell, was found by her owners in a snowbank.

The day she was found, Kalispell was suffering from freezing temperatures with a low of 8 F on Thursday morning, and temperatures the previous morning, Jan. 30, were below zero.

While it was not snowing on Thursday, there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground, according to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Tom Kines.

She was rushed to the Animal Clinic of Kalispell after being found.

Animal Clinic of Kalispell Dr. Jevon Clark told ABC News that when the owners brought Fluffy to the clinic, her temperature was so low that it didn't even register on a thermometer, with a bottom range of 90 F.

Cats' temperatures normally are around 101 F, Clark explained.

After about two hours of using warm water and blankets, the cat’s temperature was still too low. Fluffy was then brought to the emergency room, where she finally began to show signs of recovery after a few hours.

cat snow survival

Cat survival Montana 2-5-2019

Montana cat ice survival 2/2019

Respected Contributor

Fluffy is a beautiful cat and very lucky to be alive.  I hope that she continues to flourish and has a long life.  She has truly used up several of her "nine lives" at this point.

Thanks for the feel good story as life is a journey and we can all use a little good news!

Honored Contributor

That's horrible.  I hope her owners will make her an indoor only cat from now on.  Just horrific.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know what Fluffy was doing outside in such inclement weather?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

NO ONE OWN's AN "INDOOR"-OUTDOOR CAT.

As if....they are outdoor.

Tragic results don't take long.

The ELEMENTS own them.

Weather - fire- floods - draught - other animals - vehicles & mean horrible humans OWN OUTDOOR CATS.

Nothing good comes from NOT KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR FUR FAMILY.

I'd protect my cat SHADOW WITH MY VERY LIFE before I'd ever allow him to be at risk.

I save ALLEY CATS (the horror stories are heart breaking) and the shape they are in JUST TO SURVIVE is beyond awful...

I emplore all humans - an animal added to your family is JUST THAT - FAMILY.

Keep them close.

Respected Contributor

Really odd. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz

Thank you for posting a "Happy Ending" story.

Another reason why I wish people wouldn't let their kitties out esp. in this type of weather.  I know there are cats that won't have it any other way - I had 2 such cats years ago.  I had a high wooden fenced in backyard & had a cat home for them on the deck with blankets inside, water etc.  

Prayers for continued recovery of Fluffy.  My heart goes out to her.

Honored Contributor

Re: Frozen Furball

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine@kitcat51@MoonieBaby@Kachina624@NickNack@Boomernichols

Went on a search to find out why the cat was outside. Found this info on another site.

The 3-year-old cat was mostly an outdoor cat that the owners "acquired" when they moved into their new home.

Because the owners weren't home at the time, they aren't positive how Fluffy got stuck in the snow. The clinic said there were some signs of injury and they believe she couldn't get to her "warm spot."
She has eight lives left, but Fluffy will be staying inside these days.
Fur real.
Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz

Fluffy reminds me of My Fluffy.  Similar in color.  Her sister is Ginger (calico)

Can't give them enough love!  Sometimes, I think I may hover over them a bit much, but for their 17 1/2 years, I worry about them so.

Respected Contributor

All my cats have been strictly indoors which keeps them safe.  No reason this cat had to go through that but glad it had a happy ending.  Cat Happy