Honored Contributor

I've used this brand for years & never smelled a scent.  I looked at the bag & it doesn't state it but oh my it's so strongly scented I can barely breath.

Does anyone who uses it know if they have changed to have perfume or scented upon use? I clean my litter box 3-4 times a day...

I may have to change scents & I don't get along well😽

Respected Contributor

Re: Fresh Step kitty litter ?

I have 2 cats use fresh step and really don't have any smell the cats have no problem using the litter. I love fresh step light but now my grocery store doesn't have the light anymore but cats are fine & empty the box once a day. It does say fresh sent on box we are fine. Be careful when you change brands keep some old litter into a new brand so they get use to it. 

Honored Contributor

My kitty passed last year, but he used fresh step for many years.  I bought bags at petsmart or petco.  I think they were 40lbs.  They were unscented.  I noticed other kinds by fresh step would have scents or say no scent.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18

thank you. This is a new bag I bought at Pet Smart and it says "fresh" smell. I used to buy smaller bag at grocery store but they stopped carrying it.

My kitty doesn't have any problem it's me! Lol

Frequent Contributor

I use Fresh Step cat litter - but only the unscented. The bag you bought says fresh, that means it will have a scent. It will say unscented, otherwise the litter will have a scent. I also believe scented cat litter should never be used. Cats lick their paws and clean themselves, can't imagine how horrible a scented litter would taste to them. Don't even understand why any scented litter is offered at all. The scented litter is for the humans only! Just make sure it says unscented anything else will be scented!

Honored Contributor

Thank you posters for your input!  Yup I bought SCENTED WITH FEBREEZE...oh my I can barely stand it don't know how kitty is either.

You know when they "dig" before potty oh boy...off to PetSmart to buy new litter UNscented.

PS: The word FEBREEZE is huge on the front of the bag ...missed that completely!!!

Thanks again! 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Thank you posters for your input!  Yup I bought SCENTED WITH FEBREEZE...oh my I can barely stand it don't know how kitty is either.

You know when they "dig" before potty oh boy...off to PetSmart to buy new litter UNscented.

PS: The word FEBREEZE is huge on the front of the bag ...missed that completely!!!

Thanks again! 

@homedecor1  I have been using this for quite a while and was annoyed about it at first, but have gotten used to it and my kitty doesn't mind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

I've used this brand for years & never smelled a scent.  I looked at the bag & it doesn't state it but oh my it's so strongly scented I can barely breath.

Does anyone who uses it know if they have changed to have perfume or scented upon use? I clean my litter box 3-4 times a day...

I may have to change scents & I don't get along well😽

@homedecor1

When I first got my beautiful little Bogey, I took him to the Vet for his first checkup.   She knew this was my first feline, and went over a few basics .... including NEVER use a scented kitty littler.  Apparently, it's not good for their lungs and sinuses, and who needs their kitties exposed to more chemicals .... even just fragrances that can irritate?

(For that matter .... humans don't need extra chemicals around them, either.)

Well, I'm not a fan of scented anything, but I was glad she told me about this.   I always use unscented ..... and prefer World's Best Cat Litter (a corn derivative that is flushable, if that matters to you)  with a little Mimi Litter (crystals) mixed in.