Trusted Contributor

A few days ago, we were parked next to a vehicle with two

Border Collies inside.  

When the young woman driver returned  to her car, I asked her

about her dogs.  

She shared some cute stories about how smart they were:

one opened the refrigerator on its own; the other could actually turn the door knob to go outside in the yard.

I laughed and said, "How funny!  I've know they are smart and learn quickly.  It must be fun having dogs like that."

She said, "No it's not!  It's too much!"

Then, she started talking about her French Bulldog.  "I just love him; he's wonderful in every way!"  

She was in a hurry, and I think I was somewhat of an annoying older person, so that pretty much ended our dog talk.

I know very little about French Bulldogs.  Of course, the incident with Lady Gaga's dogwalker with her dogs....but not a whole lot.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California    Just ask @NickNack  as she's a big fan.  Did you see the picture of the Frenchies on the skateboard? 

Border collies are so smart, it's hard work trying to stay one step ahead of them.  The last thing I'd want is a dog that could open the fridge. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My rescue lab/pit mix was able to open the kitchen cabinets and the oven.  I had to childproof everything in the kitchen and the bathrooms to keep her from getting into trouble.  She also locked me out of the house one day when she jumped up at the door and turned the lock.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California   I have a french bulldog, and I had one prior to this one, too.  My first Frenchie was super friendly and loved everyone.  Everyone loved her, too.  I could take her anywhere, and she was a good traveler.  When I would board her, the kennel workers told me that she always got extra attention because they loved her so much.

I got my current 4 1/2 year old french bulldog, Ava, a year ago from a breeder.  She is very shy and seems to be afraid of people.  The breeder said she had always been that way, and she wanted to place her in a good quiet home.  She gave her to me.

I love her very much, and we're very bonded.  It's just hard when I have company or workers in my house.  I would never be able to board her.  I'm going out of town for a few days this summer and am having someone stay in my house with my cat and her.  I am very nervous about leaving her.  I know the pet sitter very well, and if anybody can win her over she can.

My first Frenchie was very typical of the breed.  They usually have never met a stranger.  They're really the perfect dog.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We had a cat that would knock the phone off the hook sometimes when we weren't home when it rang.

A few times my mother would tell me "I tried to call today and had a nice chat with the cat."  She could hear it purring. 

Another one would jump up and turn the light switch off and on with it's back feet--apparently just because he could.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Cats! You gotta love 'em. Been a cat person all my life and been owned by a few.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner    Your story had me laughing!  I can picture your mom talking with your purring kitty cat!  I have cats too, so I can totally relate to this!